VOLLEYBALL Hoyas Win Two More By Nick Marino Special to The Hoya

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Junior outside hitter Lauren Warner (5) and the Hoyas won two games this weekend.

The Georgetown University women’s volleyball team upped their record to 10-6 for the year as they beat the Providence College Friars and the James Madison University Dukes over the weekend. Following the two convincing wins and having won eight of their last 10 games, the Hoyas sit in second place in the Big East Conference at 6-1 behind the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

Georgetown easily defeated Providence College Friday at cDonough Gymnasium. The Hoyas dominated much of the match, winning in straight sets 3-0 (30-20,30-18,30-17) over the Friars.

Senior outside hitter Yulia Vtyurina and freshman middle blocker Sara Albert led the Hoyas. Vtyurina continued her outstanding play had a match-high 12 kills and 10 digs. Along with her double-double, she had a .500 hitting percentage. Albert also added a match-high seven blocks along with a .636 hitting percentage.

Junior co-captain Lauren Warner contributed eight kills, six digs, two aces and two blocks. Sophomore setter Jennifer Ward exhibited both her offensive and defensive skills as she had a match-high 30 assists, as well as three blocks. Junior middle blocker Anna Kleinsorge chipped in with nine kills, four digs, three aces and four blocks.

The Hoyas continued their winning ways Sunday afternoon as they defeated non-conference foe James Madison at Godwin Hall. Georgetown turned in an impressive performance overall as they defeated JMU 3-1 (30-20, 28-30, 33-31, 30-17).

Vtyurina again led the way for the Hoyas with a match-high 23 kills. Warner also turned in another good match with 15 kills. Ward added 42 assists in the first three games. With 11 kills on 18 attempts and no errors, Albert turned in another solid effort.

With two impressive performances, the Hoyas hope to continue their streak this week. Georgetown next plays at UMBC in Baltimore at 7 p.m today. Following this game, the Hoyas will play George Washington at home, at 7 p.m. Saturday.