Volleyball Hoyas Win One of Three At Georgia Tech Tourney

By Erin Reilly Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s volleyball team came away from this weekend’s tournament with a win and two losses. If this sounds familiar, it is because last weekend’s tournament left the Hoyas with a 1-2 record to start the season.

This weekend, the Hoyas fell to 2-4 in the Georgia Tech Invitational, defeating Louisiana State while losing to Georgia Tech and No.12 Colorado State.

The Hoyas defeated LSU in three games on Friday (30-28, 30-23, 30-24). Georgetown had a great start in the tournament with senior Julia Vtyurina and junior co-captain Lauren Warner leading the way in assists (29 combined), digs (23 combined) and blocks (five each), with two aces apiece.

Sophomore Sara Albert had eight kills, five blocks and a match-high hitting percentage of .538. Sophomore Jen Ward stepped up with a match-high 41 assists, 10 digs, two kills and two aces, while freshman Lara Bursch came off the bench to provide eight digs for the Hoyas.

Saturday did not bring the same luck for the Hoyas as Friday. In each of their two competitions, they fell to their opponents in three games. Earlier on Saturday, Georgetown lost to host Georgia Tech (30-28, 30-26, 30-24).

Warner posted a match-high 15 kills and five digs while Vtyurina had a match-high 12 digs, nine kills, two blocks and one ace. Junior Anna Kleinsorge had five blocks, seven kills, two digs and one assist. However, the Hoyas were out-hit .255 to .225 by the Yellow Jackets.

Perhaps the most difficult opponent the Hoyas have faced so far, and an anticipated tough match, is the Rams from Colorado State. They are the 12th ranked team in the country, and they proved their dominance against Georgetown on Saturday defeating them (31-29, 30-23, 30-17).

Hitting has been a problem for the Hoyas already this year, and in this game they were out-hit .237 to .078. Georgetown also has trouble coming up to block shots when it is fatigued, and the Rams out-blocked the Hoyas 18-7 in Saturday’s contest.

Vtyurina was the leading scorer once again for the Hoyas with a match-high 16 kills, seven digs, one block and one ace. Warner had 11 kills, six digs, two assists and one ace in the game. Ward continued posting high numbers of assists (30) along with five digs, four blocks, one ace and one kill. More kills came from Kleinsorge (5) and Albert (3). Junior Anna Sones contributed a team-high 11 digs.

The Hoyas’ next game is in McDonough Gymnasium today at 7 p.m. against Virginia. The Cavaliers (4-3) split a two-game tournament this weekend at the William & Mary Hi-IQ Classic. Virginia defeated Columbia in three games but fell to William & ary in three. The Tribe has also defeated Georgetown this season. Prior to the loss to William & Mary, Virginia had a three-match winning streak as well as a five-match winning streak against William & Mary.

The Hoyas will try to improve their record to 3-4 tonight. Tonight’s game is a Senior Disorientation Week event as well as the first home game of the season for the Hoyas.