The Georgetown women’s volleyball team continued an impressive season, defeating the University of Maryland-Baltimore County in three straight games Tuesday. The win improved the team’s overall record to 11-6, while its Big East conference record remained at 6-1, good for second place in the conference behind Notre Dame.

The Hoyas dominated UMBC in nearly all aspects of the match, winning the first game 30-18, the second 30-23 and the third 30-22. Georgetown had 46 kills compared to the Retrievers’ 33, as well as 17 more digs, 13 more assists and nine more service aces. Sophomore Lauren Warner and senior Yulia Vtyurina, who had 13 and 12 kills respectively, were the team leaders.

“Yulia is performing really well,” Head Coach Li Liu said. “She’s doing a tremendous job with her leadership on the court and hard work; she’s setting a good example for the freshmen. She has great personality on the court.”

Among the freshman standouts in the game were Sara Albert, who just picked up Big East Rookie of the Week for the second straight week Oct. 15. Coach Liu also noted that freshman Laura Bursch played a strong game in place of injured captain senior Megan ullen.

“She’s doing really well,” Liu said. “She’s becoming a solid passer for the team.”

Overall, Liu appeared impressed with her team’s effort, but still saw ways that the team could improve.

“They played really relaxed,” Liu said. “They had so much fun, goofing around and laughing – but not in a bad way. It’s confidence on the court. We made a few serving errors, though, which need to be eliminated for the team to become more solid.”

The Hoyas’ season continues Saturday when they play local rival George Washington at 7 p.m. in McDonough Arena. The game is special for Coach Liu, who graduated from GW in 1996.

“It’s a big game for me,” she said. “Everyone I know will be there. Our team is solid; we just need to show up and play. The team has been working really hard. If we play to our ability we can beat them.”

Georgetown also plays in McDonough Oct. 23 at 7 p.m. against the University of Virginia. The game was rescheduled after originally being slated for Sept. 11.

The Hoyas return to Big East action Oct. 27 when they travel to Rutgers for a highly anticipated matchup. While Georgetown leads the Scarlet Knights in the Big East standings, Rutgers is ranked fifth in the Northeast by the NCAA, three spots ahead of the Hoyas.

“It’s going to come down to who shows up that day,” Coach Liu said. “I definitely have confidence in my team. We can beat them if we play well. We’re prepared; we need to show what we can do and try to control the game as much as possible.”