The Georgetown volleyball team improved to 5-4 this weekend, defeating both the Seton Hall Pirates and the St. John’s Red Storm. The two wins give the Hoyas a 2-0 record in the Big East and extends their winning streak to three games. These two wins are especially meaningful for Georgetown, as St. John’s was ranked first in the Big East coming into the weekend match.

Last week Coach Liu said that her team would have to “show up and play” and they did just that this weekend.

The Hoyas downed the Pirates in four games (30-28, 30-32, 30-23, 30-17). Junior co-captain Lauren Warner scored a match-high and season-high 22 kills against Seton Hall while senior Yulia Vtyurina had 17 kills, eight digs and an ace. Adding to the dominance of Georgetown’s offense, sophomore Jen Ward recorded a match-high 56 assists, nine digs, two blocks and an ace. Freshman Sara Albert recorded high numbers again this weekend, posting a match-high five blocks, six kills and a hitting percentage of .545. Junior Anna Sones contributed a match-high three aces and senior co-captain Meg Mullen contributed four kills, three digs and one block.

The Hoyas out-hit the Pirates .252-.142.

In the four-game victory against the Red Storm (30-26, 28-30, 30-22, 30-23) the duo of Warner and Vtyurina dominated once again. They combined for 40 kills, 33 digs, four blocks and three aces, and both recorded hitting percentages over .325. Ward posted a match-high and season-high 60 assists over the four games while also tallying nine digs, three blocks, two aces and a kill. Albert stepped it up again with a career best 12 kills, five blocks and four solo stops while hitting a match-high .440. Mullen contributed with a season-high 16 digs, six kills, two blocks and an assist. Sones, freshman Lara Bursch and sophomore Laura Hart registered 13 digs collectively.

“We started the season off with two big wins, that shows that we are excited, that we are ready to carry it through the rest of the season and that we come to play,” said junior Anna Kliensorge, who had a match-high and season-high nine blocks, four solos and six kills in the match against St. John’s.

The Hoyas continue conference play next weekend with Big East foes Syracuse on Friday in New York and Notre Dame on Sunday in Indiana. Syracuse and Notre Dame are currently ranked fourth and fifth respectively in the Big East. Prior to this weekend both teams had winning records.