Volleyball | GU Skids Again in Big East

Georgetown women’s volleyball (6-16, 2-7) lost in straight sets this weekend against Xavier (11-11, 5-4 Big East) on Friday and Butler (15-10, 4-5 Big East) on Saturday, falling to 2-7 in Big East conference play and 6-16 overall.

The Hoyas struggled against the Musketeers, losing two sets 25-14 and one set 25-16.

Georgetown could not find its rhythm and was unable to start strong, trailing by up to nine points with a score of 20-11 in the first set, and 11 points (22-11) in the second. Xavier’s scoring runs combined with its effective blocking limited Georgetown to a .065 hitting percentage.

Despite the Musketeers’ 11 team blocks, sophomore outside hitter Liv King pushed through and led the Hoyas with 10 kills, while sophomore middle blocker Symone Speech and senior middle blocker Ashlie Williams added five kills each.

Sophomore setter Paige McKnight also clinched a match high 23 assists. In the back row, sophomore libero Higareda led the Hoyas with six digs, Sara Feld added five and three other Hoyas added three digs each.

The Musketeers boasted a higher offensive percentage than the Hoyas, especially in the last set, hitting .605. Senior outside hitter Abigail Messler led the Musketeers with a .571 offensive percentage and a match high 12 kills. She also had nine digs. Junior outside hitter Kristen Massa similarly recorded high numbers with nine kills and a .533 hitting percentage.

The Blue and Gray looked to change their luck on Saturday’s match, but once again fell to their opponent. They dropped the first two sets 25-13, and the final set 25-19 to the Bulldogs.

An early 12-1 scoring run in the first set, and 8-1 run in the second by Butler were hard for Georgetown to recover from. The Hoyas were taken out of system by the Bulldogs’ strong serving game with nine aces, compared to their one ace.

In addition to serving, the Hoyas struggled offensively against the Bulldogs. Despite Symone Speech’s 10 kills and Ashlie Williams’ eight, the team recorded an overall .065 hitting percentage. In comparison, the Bulldogs reached a .278 offensive percentage.

However, Georgetown middle blocker Emily Herrington had a noteworthy match high four blocks, and freshman libero Kenzie Higareda added an impressive 12 digs controlling the back row.

The Hoyas’ strengths were unable to counterbalance their opponent’s offense. Butler’s sophomore outside hitter Anna Logan posted 14 kills off 30 attempts, and sophomore outside hitter Whitney Beck added 12 kills with a .344 hitting percentage. Logan was a strong player against the Hoyas on Saturday, adding 10 digs in the back row.

The Hoyas look to improve their conference and overall record as they go into the second half of Big East play. Their next match is against Villanova, who they previously upset with a sweeping 3-0 win earlier this season on their home court in Pennsylvania. They face off against the Wildcats in McDonough  Arena this Saturday at 6 p.m.

Sports Information could not be reached for comment.