Volleyball | Big East Foes Down GU

The Georgetown women’s volleyball team lost both Big East conference matches this past weekend against Seton Hall on Friday and St. John’s on Saturday, falling to 2-12 in conference play and 6-21 overall as the Hoyas head into the last two weeks of their season.

In recent contests, Georgetown has had trouble playing consistently and maintaining its energy throughout an entire match, and Friday was no different against Seton Hall (14-14, 8-7 Big East). The Hoyas played the Pirates in four sets (25-21, 14-25, 25-8, 25-15) but could not battle long enough to force it to a final fifth set.

With the score tied at 18, the Hoyas lost their edge as their opponents went on a 6-2 run that ultimately determined the Pirates’ first-set victory. In the second set, Georgetown came out aggressively from the beginning, recording a .464 hitting percentage on offense compared to Seton Hall’s .088 hitting percentage. The women also impressively put away 13 kills without a single error. Their tough play and consistent efforts led them to an 11-point win.

However, as with recent matches, the Hoyas’ energy in the second set could not be maintained. The Blue and Gray only managed five kills in the third set. They could not keep pace with the Pirates’ explosive offense and .688 hitting percentage, resulting in Seton Hall’s 25-8 victory. In the fourth and final set, Georgetown trailed the entire game, leaving the Pirates victorious at a score of 25-15.

Sophomore outside hitters Liv King and Alyssa Sinnette led Georgetown with nine kills, while sophomore setter Paige McKnight notched her 12th double-double of the season with 34 assists and 11 digs in the back. Senior middle blocker Ashlie Williams also posted an impressive match-high seven blocks at the net.

For the Pirates, junior outside hitter Dominique Mason led the team with a match-high 22 kills, scoring eight of her 22 in the third set alone. Mason’s teammate, sophomore middle blocker Abby Thelen, added 11 to Seton Hall’s strong offense.
Saturday’s contest was similar for the Blue and Gray, as the women could not change their luck against the Red Storm (14-14, 5-10 Big East). They battled longer with St. John’s than they did against Seton Hall, taking the match to five sets. However, they could not clinch the victory, dropping the final set 15-12.

Outside hitter Alyssa Sinnette led Georgetown with 18 kills, while King, sophomore middle blocker Symone Speech and Williams all added 11. In the backcourt, sophomore libero Kenzie Higareda recorded 25 digs to lead the team. McKnight also notched 49 assists.

The Hoyas had slow first and third sets, but they executed well in the second and fourth, clinching those games 19-25 and 17-25, respectively. The Blue and Gray found their pace in the second set as Sinnette recorded five of her 18 total kills. In the fourth, the Hoyas had a noteworthy final push when the set was tied at 16. They swept the Red Storm, taking the next eight consecutive points, forcing a fifth and final set.

In the fifth, the Hoyas were up 10-6, and it looked as if the match was in their favor. However, St. John’s was not ready to surrender on its home court on senior night. The Red Storm captured nine of the last 11 points to close out the match with a close three-point difference.

Freshman outside hitter Gaia Traballi led the Red Storm with her double-double of 12 digs and 11 kills on Saturday night. St. John’s also served very aggressively with a season team-high 11 aces.

The Hoyas return to the Hilltop looking to strengthen their overall record this weekend with only four matches left in the season. With the top four teams qualifying for the Big East tournament, Xavier (15-12, 9-5 Big East) is currently in a favorable position, ranked 3rd in the conference. The Hoyas will face the Xavier Musketeers on Saturday at 1 p.m. in McDonough Arena after their match against the Butler Bulldogs (17-13, 6-8 Big East) on Friday at 2 p.m.

Sports Information could not be reached for comment.