By Ted Bauer

The keg is god.

That’s what I’ve learned in the time I’ve spent on the Hilltop so far. Forget elements of political theory, forget the problem of God, forget the relationships with people. A metal cylinder of beer, four bags of ice and a crazy mechanism they call `a tap’ have replaced organized religion in our society. It brings people together for a common cause, can cause people to do otherwordly things such as letting a couple of sweaty, panting strangers lift their legs high in the air while another sweaty one slams a nozzle into the corner of their mouth.

What is it about Georgetown? During NSO, all we hear is how many options there are in Washington and how many great things you can and will be, but at 11 p.m. every Friday night on the Red Square cross, two packs of 30 frosh, almost tribal in their meeting, echo the familiar: “Where you headed?” followed by, perhaps, “I heard that’s kicked.” The single word `kicked’ can set an entire herd in another direction.

It’s an interesting sociological experiment. Just stand in Red Square at 11:30 p.m. on a weekend night and at various five, six minute intervals just scream `Kicked’ and watch the repercussions. It’s quite amusing.

The subject of this column has been treaded many times by writers far more gifted with a word processor than myself, so why flog a dead horse? (You can tell I’m not that gifted, I just used one of the worst cliches ever.) I am tired of lamenting, though; the time has come for action.

So I am sending out a challenge to all of you. If you’re scanning this barely vertical ink, stop and think for a moment. Do you really want to follow a bunch of people to a backyard, and stand around a metal cylinder waiting for beer for 15 minutes? Challenge yourself, expand your mind. Go to the Kennedy Center … dress rehearsals of plays are free. Go to a GPB movie. Go down to dupont and see a movie, have some Mexican food, sit and play chess. Go to the Foundry. Go to Thomas Sweet’s. Walk on M Street. Hit up the water. Look at flyers around campus, see who’s speaking, see what’s going on. On Thursday night, there was a DJ SpinOff event on Village C Patio, featuring lots of free food and good music, and about 100 people were there … yet about 300 were out looking for parties two hours later. You make friends and you remember college from the idle Tuesdays walking along M Street with one or two people, not the Saturday nights stumbling along 36th. It’s great to wake up the next morning and remember `how sick’ the night before was; we all do it, and good parties are to be appreciated as much as anything I’m mentioning. But after time, you learn a good party is 10 people, not 100.

I challenge the leaders, too. I challenge GUSA. GUSA thinks they can accomplish a lot of things for students, and that’s great if they think that, but they can’t. Even if they could, 70 percent of the student body cares as much about what GUSA is doing as they do about Tito Puente’s recording career. All GUSA representatives need to do is go out and support students. If there’s an event, there’s no reason for any GUSA rep NOT to be there. When’s the last time you saw a GUSA rep at a play or a concert besides the big GPB ones? GUSA fails because it attempts things it has no business trying to accomplish: All it needs to do is have its members embrace the students of this school, listen to their concerns and support their interests. If GUSA reps are supposed to represent the concerns and interests of their entire grade, and they don’t show up to anything besides keg parties and a few meeting, what kind of example is that setting?