To the Editor:

We are proud to be Americans. As first-generation immigrants or with roots stretching back to the Mayflower, we consider ourselves to be “your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free.”

Whether our ancestors hailed from Nicaragua, China, India, Poland, Russia, Iran, Denmark or Hungary, we call the United States our home.

Whether Muslim, Roman Catholic, Hindu, Protestant or atheist, we take pride in this great “city upon a hill.”

Whether living amid the rolling hills of Carbondale, Ill., the sandy shores of Florida, the snow-covered fields of Milwaukee or from the peaks of the towering skyscrapers of urban Philadelphia, we treasure this great nation of liberty and duty.

Yashreeka Huq’s viewpoint “Democratic Party Embodies Equality” (The Hoya, Oct. 1, 2004, A3) fails to recognize the vibrant diversity present through America. All that Huq addresses in her article is what divides us. We are of various faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds, but we stand united. We all belong to a greater community, not the factious sects battling for recognition.

Don’t tear apart the patchwork quilt of differences in our country over the demagoguery of the Democrats. Unite under the fabric of freedom, our great flag which demonstrates the power of our “one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

Jady Hsin (COL ’07) Chairman, GU College Republicans

Oct. 6, 2004