Dan Gelfand/The Hoya Members of GU Peace Action commemorate the coalition soldiers who died with more than 450 candles in Red Square on Tuesday.

In a Veteran’s Day vigil, members of GU Peace Action remembered the 452 coalition soldiers who have died in Iraq with name cards surrounded by candles in Red Square on Tuesday.

GU Peace Action was created last year out of opposition to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Since then, Peace Action has joined with other political activist groups on campus to promote awareness and education of domestic and international peace conflicts.

On Veteran’s Day, the group decided to express their sentiments against the war and remember the soldiers with a quiet memorial, a candle-lit vigil, which sparked emotion and interest from many students.

“It is really important that people who disagree with military practices and government policies realize that at the same time there are people fighting out there who are dying for what they believe in,” Megan Murphy (COL ’06) said. “Despite political disagreement, it is important for us to recognize the people fighting for our country and to hold them in our hearts.”

Peace Action’s memorial and activism also attracted the interest of new students, eager to express their condolences and concern for those who have lost their lives.

“Especially on Veteran’s Day, it is important to recognize the state of affairs in Iraq and to think about why the conflicts and deaths are occurring. Peace Action chose to express their concern with a memorial to the soldiers, which I feel is very appropriate,” Ali Starling (NHS ’07), a new member to the group, said.

The group decided a vigil would be a quiet but effective tool to promote awareness, a decision of which members of the group spoke about.

“With a peace-oriented group, it is hard to decide how to go about proving your point. You don’t always have to be reactionary, which is exemplified by our demonstration tonight. With our candle vigil, we wanted to get people thinking, and express remembrance for the veterans,” Sasha Kinney (SFS ’06) stated.