Valuing Your Degree

Many factors contribute to the value of a degree: whether it is a bachelor’s or an associate, the major it signifies, the prestige of the university by which it was awarded and so on. However, the determinant that many have a hard time ignoring is the ease with which their degree will land them a job.

In light of the recent economic climate, this shift of priorities seems all too natural. According to a recent survey conducted by consulting company Accenture, graduating seniors’ expectations of immediately finding a well-paying job in their chosen field are becoming increasingly unrealistic.
A competitive job market and the disconnect between employers’ needs and the perceived skills of students make it difficult for recent graduates to immediately land the job of their dreams. But seniors should trust the value of their Georgetown education and the fact that it will eventually pay off — in time, if not out of the gate.

Although the employment outlook can be daunting for many Georgetown alumni, it is also true for students across the country. According to the Cawley Career Education Center’s Class of 2012 Senior Survey Report, only 4 percent of last year’s Georgetown graduates were still seeking employment six months after graduation, compared to the national average of 30 percent.

With many students facing substantial loan debt and bigger expectations, it is understandable that post-college employment is high stakes and high stress. But a four-year education on the Hilltop is worth more than a quick payoff, and seniors can take comfort in the timeless value of their Georgetown degree.