Unknown Party Publishes Fake Hoya

By Eric Heilman Hoya Staff Writer

Last Tuesday, an unknown party distributed a publication satirizing The Hoya under the name “The Super-Secret Fake Hoya.” The issue, which featured the Hoya’s masthead and layout, contained fabricated stories similar to The Hoya’s annual April Fool’s issue.

Many students took it to be an authorized Hoya parody, produced by the Hoya staff. “I know for a fact that a lot of people read it and thought it was us,” said Karen Travers (COL ’00), editor-in-chief of the Hoya, but “the issue that came out on Tuesday was not published by the Hoya board.”

The use of familiar fonts and layout as well as the issue’s proximity to April Fool’s day left many on campus bewildered and amused.

“[The Super-Secret Fake Hoya] took me aback,” said Mihan House (COL ’99). “My next thought was `It’s not April Fool’s Day.’ It took me a couple minutes to figure out what was going on.”

“I thought the fake Hoya was absolutely hilarious,” said Simon Torres (SFS ’00). “But I didn’t know it was fake until yesterday.”

Tuesday was not the first time a false issue of The Hoya has been produced. During the 95-96 academic year, the staff of the Gonzo, an unofficial Georgetown satire newspaper that has since disbanded, produced a spoof issue of The Hoya.

That issue contained offensive material, some of which was aimed at Hoya staffers, and Gonzo editors eventually issued a public apology.

“[The Gonzo] didn’t do it this time and I don’t know who did,” said Micah Sachs (COL ’99), an editor of the Gonzo.

While the identity of the publishers of the fake issue is still unknown, speculation that the issue might have been put together by Hoya staff members without the endorsement of The Hoya board persists. The use of The Hoya masthead and other layout features would seem to require access to The Hoya’s computers. As a result, some have speculated about the complicity of members of The Hoya staff.

“If it was someone from outside The Hoya, it’s my sense that they’d be proud to claim responsibility,” said Sachs. “Since no one has come forward, it makes me think it was someone inside the Hoya and now they’re trying to cover it up a little bit.”

Sachs commented did not explain how the Gonzo’s spoof Hoya was put together.

Travers did not comment on the speculation that Hoya staffers might have been involved and said she does not foresee an effort to uncover the identity of the spoofers.

“Since, so far, people haven’t been too upset or offended, we’re not really pushing an investigation to find out who did it,” said Travers.