Sweaty students will no longer be forced to navigate Yates Field House’s maze of construction by late January, university officials said.

Yates Director James Gilroy said that although the original target date for completion of the renovations of Jan. 27 is still in place, unanticipated problems with leveling the concrete sub-layer may mean that project will take a bit longer than originally predicted.

The entire project, which began on Dec. 17, includes resurfacing of the northernmost area on Yates’ main floor, which encompasses the indoor track, indoor tennis courts, varsity weight room and stretching area. The section being renovated accounts for approximately 47,000 sq. ft. of Yates’ total 142,300 sq. ft. of floor space.

Despite shifting estimates, the final cost of the project should lie in the $800,000 range, Gilroy said.

“We are always trying to do what we can not only to maintain [Yates], but update it,” Gilroy said.

Other projects have included the resurfacing and consolidation of the aerobic training area in the summer of 2004 and the more recent replacement of lighting for the squash and racquetball courts.

Gilroy said that the current renovations have been needed for several years due to the erosion of the old floor. Once a level surface is in place, however, there is hope that there will be no further delays in laying the sport surfaces themselves.

Although this is not the optimal time for construction given the potential of the project to interfere with student recreation, Gilroy said that the decision was made to go forth with renovations while funding was available.

The floor project will eventually result in the replacement of old surfaces with surfaces by Mondo, a company specializing in commercial and sport flooring.

The four doubles tennis courts to be built within the renovated area will be surfaced with a tennis-specific material. The courts will replace the four doubles and two singles courts that originally occupied the space.

While the condition of the tennis courts was not horrible, “they definitely needed to be replaced,” Scott Maucher (COL ’08), a member of the varsity tennis team, said.

In addition to the courts, the project will also include the resurfacing of the 200-meter indoor track and the relocation of the long-jump pit to the left side of the area.

Although these new facilities will frequently be utilized by the track and tennis teams, Gilroy stressed that the project’s primary purpose is to “help recreation . at the field house.”

The varsity weight room, which will be moved to the area’s west wall, is only temporarily situated in Yates and may eventually be given a permanent home in the school’s partially complete ulti-Sport Facility, Gilroy added.

While the renovations will improve current facilities, Gilroy said that the rearrangement of the surfaces will also create more available space, which could potentially be used for future improvements, such as a climbing wall.

“It’s a lot of money to do a project like that,” Gilroy said.