Undergrad MSB Program Surges to 10th Spot in Rankings

The McDonough School of Business’ undergraduate program shot up 13 spots to 10th in the nation in Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2011 rankings.

To select its “Best Undergraduate B-Schools” roster, Bloomberg Businessweek judged the programs based on criteria such as seniors’ evaluations of satisfaction, teaching and facilities, as well as recruiter feedback and the business schools’ self-critiques of difficulty and post-graduation statistics. To finalize the 2011 numbers, which were published Thursday, the newsmagazine averaged the new data with the survey results from the last two years.

“We are pleased and proud that Businessweek has recognized the excellence of Georgetown’s undergraduate business program, which combines an innovative curriculum and leading faculty to provide a high-quality academic experience for our students,” said George Daly, dean of the MSB, in a press release. “Our alumni, parents and friends also have contributed to our success, from funding our wonderful new building to providing essential programmatic support.”

According to the university press release, Georgetown, ranked 23rd last year, made the greatest leap in student satisfaction and recruiter evaluations this year.

“We strive to provide an academically strong undergraduate program that is rich in student engagement,” said Norean Sharpe, undergraduate dean of the MSB, in a press release. “The success of our program is reflected in our high marks for student satisfaction and our reputation among employers for preparing our students to succeed in the workforce.”

Along with the state-of-the-art Rafik B. Hariri Building, which opened in the fall of 2009, the MSB’s addition of a first-year seminar, an entrepreneurship fellows program, a business minor for students in the College, new international partnerships and increased opportunities for service to the community all contributed to the rise, according to Sharpe.

Notre Dame’s Mendoza School of Business took the top spot for the second year in a row, while University of Virginia’s McIntire, Emory’s Goizueta, University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton and Cornell’s Dyson Business Schools rounded out the top five undergrad programs. Villanova’s program also surged to number seven from the 20th spot it held in the 2010 rankings.

The Businessweek ranking stated that students in the MSB typically spend 16.5 hours a week on class work, while 87.6 percent of those students intern. The newsmagazine also reported that the median starting salary rests at $60,000, with top employers like PricewaterhouseCoopers, Bank of America and Credit Suisse frequenting the campus.