On Wednesday, Sept. 10, Georgetown’s women’s basketball team announced its schedule for the 2003-2004 season. The 27-game schedule promises a number of challenges as Georgetown faces some of the country’s top programs, including defending national champion University of Connecticut, which handed Georgetown two losses last year.

The Hoyas finished their season last year with a 15-14 total record and a 6-10 record in the Big East. Seton Hall edged the team 58-55 in the first round of the Big East tournament and the Richmond Spiders finished off Georgetown’s season in the first round of the Women’s National Invitational Tournament, as the Hoyas fell 79-65.

Senior forward Rebekkah Brunson returns for her final year after spending the summer playing for Team USA at the Pan American Games in the Dominican Republic. She was also recently selected as a preseason candidate for the Wade Trophy, the highest honor for a player in women’s basketball. She was named to the All-Big East First Team last season. Also returning are junior point guard ary Lisicky and sophomore forward Carmen Bruce, two of the team’s leading scorers. Three freshmen will join the mix this November.

The first game, an exhibition against Sports Team International will take place at McDonough Gymnasium on Nov. 3 at 8 p.m. The Hoyas play the first game of their regular season on Friday, Nov. 21 at local rival George Washington at 7 p.m. The team plays a string of away games before returning to campus to challenge Richmond University on Dec. 4 at 8 p.m.

The season also features a tournament in San Diego, Calif. over winter break. Georgetown will face the University of San Diego as well as Maryland or Texas Tech. The Hoyas play their first Big East matchup on Jan. 3 as Seton Hall travels to the Hilltop. Other highlights of the season include a trip to Storrs, Conn., to battle Connecticut on Jan. 10, as well as skirmishes with Villanova, an elite eight team last season, on Jan. 31, and a home game against Notre Dame, a perennial powerhouse, on Jan. 7.

The team will finish up its regular season on March 2 at Boston College. The Big East tournament will take place March 6-9 in Hartford, Conn., site of many of Connecticut’s home games. Over 52,000 people saw Georgetown play last year; the team averaged almost 700 spectators at their home games and nearly 3,000 fans at their away games.