Two Wins Help Georgetown to No. 6 Ranking

By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

The No. 6 ranked Georgetown men’s lacrosse team came away with two wins over spring break to improve to 3-0 for the season. The Hoyas crushed Army, 22-6, and held off a feisty Butler squad, 22-16.

Georgetown was scheduled to play Penn State on Sunday March 14, but the game was canceled due to inclement weather and poor field conditions.

Against Army, on March 7, Georgetown jumped out to a quick lead and never looked back. Not only did the Hoyas’ defense completely shut down any offense that the Cadets might have had, but the offense exploded early and proved it can dominate in front of the cage.

Army scored some late goals, but could not put together a cohesive scoring sequence. As the game entered its final minutes, the Cadets resorted to a frantic defense, hacking at the Hoyas’ reserve offensive unit. Even with the added pressure, Georgetown still was able to put the ball in the back of the net.

“It was a physical game but we did some things offensively that were good,” Head Coach Dave Urick said. “They challenged our guys to put 60 minutes of good lacrosse together.”

Senior attackman Scott Urick led the Hoyas in scoring, with three goals and two assists. Junior attackman Andy Flick, sophomore midfielder Keith Baker and freshman attackman Alex Mintzer each recorded a hat trick.

Senior goalie Brian Hole recorded five saves in goal and senior Kevin O’Brien turned away two Army shots.

While the District was experiencing its worst snowstorm in three years, the Hoyas enjoyed the warm weather and a win against Butler in Kissimee, Fla. Again, Georgetown jumped out to an early lead, 15-3 at halftime. But Butler would not give in as quickly as Army did. The Bulldogs came together and managed to score 13 goals on the Hoyas reserve players and to bring Butler back in the game.

“They don’t stop, they just keep playing and made it an adventure toward the end,” Coach Urick said. “We had a lack of execution and they just scored goals.”

Georgetown pulled together a string of goals late in the game to seal the win.

Urick again led the Hoyas, scoring a career-high seven goals. Senior attackman Greg McCavera recorded three goals and four assists.

Hole recorded six saves in the cage. O’Brien stopped three shots and freshman Scott Schroeder stopped one.

Next up for Georgetown is No.9-ranked Maryland-Baltimore County. The Hoyas have developed a rivalry in recent years with the Retrievers. Last season, Georgetown lost a one goal decision to UMBC in the regular season, but avenged the loss when it counted, knocking the Retrievers out of the NCAA Tournament in the first round, 9-8.

This season, UMBC returns its core line-up from last season’s squad that went 9-5.

Starting on attack for the Retrievers is junior Jeff Ratcliffe and senior Chris Turner. Ratcliffe and Turner were a dangerous duo on offense last season and with junior Dan Marohl, scored 100 goals and 52 assists. In goal, UMBC returns senior Andrew Hampson who had a season best game in the cage last season against Georgetown, stopping 19 Hoya shots.

UMBC lost to No. 3-ranked Duke on Wednesday, 12-7 to fall to 3-1 for the season.

The Hoyas take to the field against the Retrievers Sunday at 1 p.m. on Harbin Field.