Tuition Rates, Student Body To Be Raised

Minimal Increases For 2000-2001 Year

By Beth Hanson Hoya Staff Writer

Applicants to Georgetown have received letters of acceptance or deferral for the class of 2004. According to recently released statistics, there will be more students at Georgetown next year – and they will be paying a higher tuition than this year.

According to the Bethany Hanley of the Office of Public Affairs, the class of 2004 was the most competitive class in Georgetown history. Earlier this month, Georgetown completed the admissions process for the class of 2004 by mailing out the last of the 2,972 acceptance letters to expectant high school seniors. With 14,223 applicants for the class of 2004, this has been Georgetown’s most selective year yet, with an acceptance rate of 21 percent compared to 22.5 percent in 1999.

Last year, 2,989 were accepted from a pool of 13,242 applicants. “We had very strong, very promising applicants this year,” said Hanley. “More than 87 percent of applicants were in the top 10 percent of their high school classes, and 38 percent were ranked either first, second or third.” Of the 2,972 accepted students, 869 were accepted as early action candidates. The acceptance rate for early admission was 22 percent.

“The enrollment goal for the incoming class is five more students than last year,” said Hanley. “The Master Plan, which is a 10 year plan, proposes to add approximately 50 students each year, increasing enrollment by less than 1 percent. The Master Plan is a conceptual plan; it’s what we aim to do, not what we are committed to doing. The aim is to gradually phase in additional students over 10 years.” A 3.74 percent tuition increase is also planned for the next academic year, raising fees from $23,088 to $23,952 for the undergraduate student body.

This tuition increase, according to Hanley, is in response to normal factors such as increase in cost of living and a decision by other schools belonging to the Consortium for Financing Higher Education to raise tuition.