Georgetown students and alumni now have a new reason to visit the Hilltop with the revamping of Georgetown Traditions Day. For its second annual event, the FRIENDS organization plans to expand the range of activities for the all-day celebration of Georgetown spirit.

“I feel that last year’s Traditions Day was really successful,” Lindsay Moilanen (SFS ’05), Marketing Chair of Traditions Day, said. “It’s hard to start up an event that appeals to the entire student body.”

Victoria Otarola (NHS ’05), co-founder of Traditions Day said that the FRIENDS initiative made several changes to make Traditions Day promote wider campus participation. “Last year’s staff was amazing, but they put it together in only six weeks. This year we are more organized, and we’ve gotten a lot more people to work on this event.”

The chairs have also redone the Traditions calendar to be more student-friendly. It will now feature important events pertinent to student life.

“Part of the criticism of last year’s event was that we didn’t focus enough on modern-day traditions, so we’ve decided to feature a presentation of the history of Wisemiller’s [Deli],” Otarola said.

Students all over campus are coming together to improve Traditions Day, Moilanen said, adding that this year there should be more extensive group displays and seven additional historic landmark posters for students to see.

Instead of the few that were able to appear on Healy Lawn last year, there will be 30-40 student organizations with tables exhibiting information about the history of their groups. These displays will start at 10:30 a.m. and last into the afternoon.

“We’ll be able to touch more of the on- and off-campus communities in a 16-hour period,” John Antonelli (MSB ’04), co-founder of Traditions Day, said. Other additions to the repertoire also aimed at “celebrating our Hilltop’s history,” include an Open House in the Riggs Library President’s Room from 11-4 p.m., an Iconography Tour meeting in Dahlgren Quadrangle at 1 p.m., and a Beyond The Gates Tour meeting on the Healy steps from 2-3 p.m. Movies that feature Georgetown University will be shown all day from noon until 7 p.m. in Sellinger Lounge.

The new Jesuit Residence will offer an Open House from 4-5:15 p.m., followed by a picture with the Jesuits.

Students can follow “Jack’s tracks” around the Southwest Quadrangle to join in the nighttime festivities. The paw print path will lead into Leo O’Donovan Dining Hall for a special Traditions Day theme night, where from 5-8 p.m. students can enjoy blue jell-o and Jack the Bulldog cookies, as well as a raffle for cakes.

These ideas, Otarola said, are based on student feedback from web surveys conducted prior to the event.

Like last year’s festivities, there will be a variety of on- and off-campus activities. “We are really just building off the foundations of last year’s work,” Otarola said.

There will be a barbecue with free food complete with student performances during the lunch period from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on Copley lawn. Anyone walking around campus can be sure to get a taste of some of the 70 lbs. of blue and gray M&M’s that were purchased for the event.

Students can also expect to see the President’s Cup again from 8:30-9:30 p.m. in Sellinger Lounge. “Each school is represented by a student as well as a faculty member on the team to make it more dynamic with more faculty participation,” Otarola said. Professor Aaron in the Government Department will act as emcee for the night. Other staff members like Fr. Ryan Maher, S.J., will be included on the judges’ panel. For a short intermission, Wing-O’s is sponsoring a wing-eating contest.

“I want to thank all the students and faculty for helping to finalize the plans for Traditions Day. This year is going to be phenomenal,” Antonelli said. He added that this event would not be possible without the interest and collaboration between students and faculty.