Track Teams Start Year On Top

Georgetown Teams Come in First at Ithaca

By Dan Ryan Hoya Staff Writer

On Saturday, the Georgetown men’s and women’s track and field teams traveled to Ithaca, N.Y., where they competed in a quad meet against Rutgers, Colgate and host Cornell. Both teams met their expectations and took first place, scoring 73 points each.

On the men’s side, following their 12-point margin over second-place Rutgers, Head Coach Frank Gagliano said, “We’re right where we want to be right now. The leadership is tremendous.”

Yet, as unusual as it may sound, a great deal of this team’s leadership may come courtesy of the freshman class.

At Saturday’s meet alone, two of the team’s first-place efforts came from freshmen, and three newcomers contributed to the winning 4-x-400-meter relay. Freshman Hakim Johnson took first place in the 400-meter dash with a time of 49.71, while freshman Jeff Reinhardt was clocked at 1:05.37 to win the 500-meter dash.

Johnson and freshmen Brian Halstead and Michael Williams, teamed up with sophomore John Marquiss to take the 4-x-400-meter relay with a time of 3:18.79. Halstead also finished second in the 800-meter run while Williams took third in the 500-meter dash.

The Hoyas took the top three spots in the 3000-meter run, with sophomore Rich Zalienski running the winning time of 8:37.4 and senior Gabriel Buerkle following in second place at 8:42.24, while junior Chris Marchal was under three-tenths of a second behind.

The upperclassmen led the way in the field events. Seniors France Davis and Doug Epps won the long jump and the shot put, respectively, and junior Sean Flynn took first in the weight throw.

“We’re a very deep team,” Gagliano said. “We have a lot of veterans and they’re backed up by a tremendous freshman class. We look forward to the student body giving us their support.”

The women’s team took nine first places on their way to defeating second-place Rutgers by 14 points. Cornell finished with 59 points, and Colgate received seven points on the day.

“We normally don’t have everybody together all at one place until the Big East Championship,” Associate Coach Ron Helmer said. Helmer’s Hoyas are ranked sixth nationally. “This was a chance to load all the girls on the bus and see what we really have.”

The Hoyas proved that they have a few stars on this talented squad.

Sophomore Traci Copeland took first place in both the Triple Jump and the Long Jump, with leaps of 37’3-3/4″ and 17’6″ ” respectively.

The Hoyas also took the top three spots in three different events.

Senior Katrina deBoer was followed by two teammates after crossing the line in the 500-meter dash with a time of 1:13.41. Junior Lisa Roder won the 1000-meter run and was followed by sophomores Kristen Gordon and Melissa Coleman. In the mile run, Gordon crossed the line with a time of 4:58.68, just before Roder and senior Kathleen Linck.

Sophomore Sasha Spencer was victorious in the 200-meter dash, at 24.9 seconds.

Autumn Fogg, a returning All-American, won the 3000-meter run, with a time of 9:52.63.

Next weekend (Jan. 29-30), the Hoyas will co-host the “Patriot-Hoya Coalition” Indoor Track Meet at George ason University.

Competing against the Hoyas in the meet will be national contenders, Arkansas, Stanford, North Carolina and Wisconsin. Because of the expected level of talent, both teams will again “load up the bus.”

“We’re real excited that we’re going against the best in the country,” Gagliano said. “And that, of course, will bring out the best in us.”