TRACK & FIELD | Georgetown Wins Eight Events at Big East Championships

The Georgetown men’s and women’s track teams competed at the Big East Championships at the Spire Institute in Geneva, Ohio, last weekend, winning eight events over the course of the two-day meet.

In addition to the eight wins, two Hoyas earned awards for their performances at the meet. Graduate student sprinter Taylor Williams won the Female High Point Performer Award, while graduate student middle distance runner Amos Bartelsmeyer earned the Big East Championships Outstanding Male Track Performer.

GUHOYAS
Graduate student sprinter Taylor Williams won both the 100m dash and the 200m dash at the Big East Championships in Geneva, Ohio.

Director of track and field Julie Culley was impressed with the accomplishments of the two runners, who competed in their final Big East Championships.

“Amos Bartelsmeyer winning the overall Male Track Performer of the Meet for his wins in the 800m and 4x800m [relay] is a great honor,” Culley said in an interview with GUHoyas. “Taylor Williams winning the Female High Point Performer Award off of winning the 100[meter dash] and 200[meter dash] as well as the podium finish in the 4x100m [relay] is such a testament to her patience.”

On May 11, the first day of the meet, the women’s team earned 16 points in the 3000-meter steeplechase with two top-three finishes. Sophomore distance runner Margie Cullen finished first with a time of 10 minutes, 33.42 seconds, while graduate student middle distance runner Meredith Rizzo earned third place in the event. The victory marks the Hoyas’ second steeplechase title in program history.

In the final event of the first day, senior distance runner Nick Golebiowski won the men’s 10,000m with a time of 30:10.36. Golebiowski outkicked the field in the final lap of the 25-lap event and set a facility record at the Spire Institute.

Coach Culley praised the team’s performance in the first day of the meet. “We had huge races from Margie Cullen winning the women’s steeple against a strong field and Nick Golebiowski winning in a fantastic final kick over the last 200 meters in the men’s 1000m,” Culley said.

The Hoyas won six more events on the second day of the meet.

Williams earned two titles May 12, sweeping the women’s short sprint events. She won the 100m dash with a time of 11.81 and the 200m dash with a time of 24.17.

The men’s team also secured the 200m dash title. Freshman sprinter Nate Alleyne finished first in the event with a time of 21.11. Alleyne also won the 200m dash indoor title in February, marking the first time in program history that the Hoyas have won both indoor and outdoor men’s 200m dash events.

In the men’s 800m, Bartelsmeyer edged out his teammate, freshman middle distance runner Ruach Padhal, finishing in first with a time of 1:49.50. The Hoyas have won the men’s 800m title at the Big East Championships for six straight years.

The men’s track and field team performed well in the field events as well, setting a school record in the discus throw. Graduate student Bryan Bjerk broke Sean Flynn’s record, which was set in 1999, with a throw of 54.57m.

The Hoyas finished the meet in fourth place on the men’s side, while the women’s team finished in fifth. Nine women and 13 men from Georgetown’s track and field squad were named to the 2018 All-Big East Outdoor Track and Field Team.

Both teams will compete at the 2018 NCAA Track and Field Championships in Tampa, Fla., from May 24 to May 26.