TRACK AND FIELD | Infeld Wins National Title

Heading into the national championship for indoor track, senior Emily Infeld could have called herself a Big East champion, a seven-time All-American and a school-record holder. Now she can add national champion to that list.

Infeld took the 3000-meter event with a time of 9:15.44 and earned 10 points for the Hoyas, who finished tied for 16th with Baylor. Nobody on the men’s side had qualified for nationals, although sophomore Andrew Springer came within two seconds of qualifying for the 3000m at the Big East championship.

The women’s distance medley relay team, comprised of Infeld, sophomore Chelsea Cox and juniors Amanda Kimbers and Rachel Schneider also represented Georgetown and finished in fourth place with a time of 11:06.53. The squad earned five points for the Blue and Gray.

“They ran too much to win instead of being out there competing and having fun,” Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Patrick Henner said.

Despite a solid performance at nationals, though, the result still fell short of expectations. The DMR team shattered a school record earlier this year and two weeks later set a Big East record. This version’s team featured Kimbers instead of senior London Finley, but the other three legs remained intact.

“It’s a pretty special thing that a fourth place at DMR is disappointing,” Henner said.

Going into the last leg, Cox handed the baton and the lead off to Infeld, one of the best anchors in the country. With 100m to go, though, Infeld started to fade, and was overtaken by the Washington, Oregon and Dartmouth anchors, respectively.

“It was almost that she competed too hard in the DMR,” Henner said. “That’s how all four of them ran. Emily competed very hard and took the lead … but it was a case where she was trying too hard the whole race.”

The competitive Infeld responded by edging out redshirt junior Deborah Maier of California the next day to take the 3000m run.

“Not a whole lot of athletes can turn around like that,” Henner said. “She ran with great execution, and [she was] so relaxed. … Emily [is] the kind of athlete that can put the past behind her and come out with a different strategy.”

But much of the credit is attributed to Head Women’s Cross Country Coach Chris Miltenberg, who has worked closely with Infeld throughout her career at Georgetown.

“I think Chris Miltenberg did a great job of putting things in perspective and framing Infeld for the 3000m the next day,” Henner said.

The national championship wrapped up the indoor season for the Hoyas, who now prepare for the outdoor season that begins at the end of the month in North Carolina and California.