Town Hall Meeting Brings GU Together

By Anne Rittman Hoya Staff Writer

About 50 campus leaders met Thursday night in Sellinger Lounge at a community meeting to discuss current campus issues including the Report on Student Life and upcoming campus-wide celebrations. Emceed by GUSA President-elect Tawan Davis (COL ’01), the meeting drew administrators and faculty as well as students.

The tone was set by GUSA president Ron Palmese (MSB ’00), who opened the meeting. Palmese said that despite several disheartening incidents this year, because of student reaction, ultimately the “incidents resulted in a positive spin.”

Davis seconded this opinion, saying, “The response from students shows there is hope for Georgetown. Georgetown is getting better by the day.”

Michael Levinson (SFS ’02), a member of the Georgetown Solidarity Committee, spoke first about the resolution passed by University President Leo J. O’Donovan, S.J., this week, ending the university’s direct involvement with the Fair Labor Association, and his decision to join the Workers’ Rights Coalition. “The university finally took constructive steps toward justice,” said Levinson. “However, there is still a lot to be done. GSC will continue to be active for the rest of the year.”

As the university begins to receive reports from GSC regarding factories where Georgetown apparel is produced, the school will have to make decisions how to “handle their licensees,” according to Levinson.

Ben Martin (COL ’01) spoke about the status of the Report on Student Life, which deals with issues of space, funding and bureaucracy on campus. It will be presented to the administration tomorrow, and results are expected back to the committee in a couple of weeks.

The upcoming holidays to celebrate Georgetown and Hoya Saxa life were also discussed. On Wednesday, starting at 1 p.m., a celebration will be held in Dahlgren Quad as a observance of spring. Activities will include a fountain-starting ceremony, a singing act by the Phantoms and food. According to Aaron Polkey (COL ’02), “You can watch Jack the Bulldog turn on the fountain … or himself.”

The last day of classes, May 3, is Georgetown Day, an event scheduled to “Celebrate being Hoyas,” said Sacasha Brown (MSB ’00). The fair promises singers, games, rides and arts and crafts. The possibility of a Ferris wheel is being discussed. “We are Georgetown, we make Georgetown and no one can change who we are,” said Brown.

Monday starts I-Week, sponsored in part by the Global Student Network and organized by the Office of International Programs. The week will be celebrated by a variety of international demonstrations and expositions, including merengue and martial arts exhibits in Red Square. The week will culminate Friday with the International Party, hosting 24 tables each representing a country with food, live dancing and performances. The party is $5 in advance and $8 at the door and will be held on the Leavey Esplanade.

Eric Rivers (COL ’02), GUSA student services committee member, explicated the issues on the docket for student services. While the committee has succeeded in expanding hours at Lauinger Library and Yates Field House on Thursdays, they are also trying to improve bathroom supplies in LXR and Darnall dormitories, mandate earlier release of class textbooks by professors, wire townhouses for ethernet connections and see through the creation a “one-card” to handle all monetary campus services.

According to Davis, the community meeting phenomenon will be repeated next year, tentatively scheduled twice per semester.