Top News Articles of 2015: Editors’ Picks

Daniel Smith/The Hoya

Best of News

Demonstrators Address Demands to University

Black student activists expressed solidarity with college students of color experiencing racism domestically and internationally. The group announced a list of six demands directed at the university’s administration that address racial injustice at Georgetown.

Iconoclastic Pair Captures GUSA, Students’ Fancy

A profile of Georgetown University Student Association President Joe Luther (COL ’16), Vice President Connor Rohan (COL ’16) and their goals for their term in leadership.

MCEF Votes in Favor of Diversity Requirement

The Main Campus Executive Faculty voted in favor of a new diversity requirement in the core curriculum. The requirement will begin with the Class of 2020.

In Paris, Scenes of Loss, Resilience

Personal accounts by Georgetown students studying abroad in France discuss their experiences after the Paris attacks.

Hoyas Flock to Catch Glimpse of Pope Francis

Students traveled to the Capitol to hear Pope Francis’s historic Mass. This was the Pope’s first trip to the United States with a tour of Washington, D.C., from Sept. 22 to 24, and the third papal visit in the District’s history.

Profiling Claims Close Thread

After facing allegations of racial profiling, the Georgetown Business Improvement District and Metropolitan Police Department shut down a conversation thread on a group-messaging app meant to identify potential shoplifters in the Georgetown area.

Panda Cub Shows Healthy Progress

The panda cub at the National Zoo, who celebrated his one-month birthday in September, had grown to more than two pounds and was in good health.

Sexual Assault Policy Reform Deal Reached

After more than two months of negotiations between student activists and the university, the Georgetown University Student Association and administrators agreed upon policy reforms regarding campus sexual assault.

On God, Beau Biden and a Hilltop Dining Hall

An interview with former University President Fr. Leo O’Donovan, S.J., whose tenure ran from 1989 to 2001. At 81, O’Donovan is still living a busy and impactful life. He currently lives in New York City and has filled his time with a variety of projects: lecturing, teaching courses, writing art reviews, serving on a variety of boards and doing pastoral work, to name a few.