Tombs, 1789, F. Scott’s to Temporarily Close

The Tombs Restaurant and Bar, 1789 Restaurant and F. Scott’s are closing from June 11 until Labor Day for renovations.

All three restaurants are part of Clyde’s Restaurant Group, which is making a multimillion-dollar investment to repair the property’s roof, improve the restaurants’ kitchens and install first-floor bathrooms in 1789. F. Scott’s will also be merged with 1789 and share its name.

Employees will be offered the chance to work at other Clyde’s locations, including Clyde’s of Georgetown, Old Ebbitt Grill and The Hamilton.

Georgetown University owns the property of The Tombs and is its landlord. Clyde’s Restaurant Group Director of Communications Molly Quigley said the organization has collaborated with the university in the renovations planning process.

“We’ve been working closely with the university for several months now,” Quigley said. “We’re just beginning the permit process, and we’re hopeful we can begin it in June, so that’s the best likelihood of dates right now.”

Quigley emphasized the urgent need to restore the property’s roof and said that the temporary closing is unlikely to significantly affect profits, as it will occur during a slower period of customer traffic. The three restaurants will be closing the week after the university’s Alumni Weekend from June 3 to 5.

“The catalyst for the closing is that the roof is in desperate need of repair, so the roof has to be replaced,” Quigley said. “We’re trying to get it done during the summertime when it’s slower and the students are gone.”

Quigley said further updates on the renovation process will become available later in the year.

“It’s still very new for us. We’ll have some more information, really some exciting information, later this spring and summer,” Quigley said. “At this point we’re just really starting the process.”