To Keep Squad on Track, GU Should Ban Twitter

I saw something Monday night I wish I hadn’t seen.

No, not the Hoyas’ latest upset defeat, this one at the hands of St. John’s.

Rather, what I wish hadn’t seen took place shortly after the game in what can only be referred to as an alternate universe.

Sometime before midnight on Monday night, a Twitter member known as HoyasRNBAStars posted the following on that social media site:

“Can somebody give sugarfree_15 a ride 2 the wvu game? He didn’t show up to the st johns game so just want 2 make sure he’ll be there.”

While somewhat harsh, the tweet was not totally meritless, as Freeman had just languished through a 2-for-10 shooting performance, scoring only six points, more than 13 below his season average. While I probably wouldn’t have publicly criticized Freeman so harshly, I think HoyasRNBAStars, just another anonymous fan on the Internet, was free to say whatever he wanted.

But here is what I didn’t like: Shortly after that post went up, Freeman responded. First, he tweeted: “HoyasRNBAStars who r u….shut up!!”

Then, within the hour, he added to no one in particular: “Ppl b real fake…when everything goin good they got all the good shit to say…but once something goes bad….they got all the bad shit to say….well ya can eat it for all I care[.]”

I wish I hadn’t seen Freeman respond; or, more precisely, I wish he hadn’t issued a response for all the world to see.

Freeman has represented the university with class, has been an unbelievable player for the Hoyas for nearly four years now, and he doesn’t owe it to unnamed, anonymous fans on the Internet to address their criticisms.

Don’t get me wrong; as a former reporter, I believe in holding players accountable. Freeman absolutely should have been forced to answer questions about his season-worst performance and Georgetown’s recent slide.

But, I believe those questions should have been asked in person by professional and student reporters who do not hide behind a veil of anonymity. And, Freeman should have been required to answer professionally and in person, rather than dismissively over the Internet.

This is not the first time a Georgetown men’s basketball player has been sucked into a Twitter back-and-forth with a rapacious “fan.” Earlier this season, in a digital encounter that I would describe as a bit more jocular, Chris Wright went back-and-forth with a handful of Syracuse fans.

The fact of the matter is that Freeman’s response makes him look – to me, anyway – overly susceptible to criticism. If I were an opposing fan of loose morals, I’d probably dish out much worse to Freeman to see if I could rile him up and get in his head. As ludicrous as that might sound to some of you, Freeman has started to show that he is not above the fray. He should be, though.

What’s the solution to this problem? As much as it pains me to say it, I believe that Georgetown should go the way of many other universities and impose a Twitter ban on its athletes during the season.

Draconian as it may be, I think it is in the best interest of the program and would help to keep players’ minds on things that matter. I heard enough stories during the dreadful 2008-09 season about members of the team scouring the HoyaTalk message boards to be convinced that many players do try to read what is written about them. As Head Coach John Thompson III would likely agree, that isn’t necessarily healthy. The only solution? Get rid of the temptation. Ban Twitter.

The move wouldn’t be unprecedented. According to one report, Boise State, Indiana University, New Mexico State, Texas Tech, the University of Miami, and the University of North Carolina have already implemented such a ban. According to another report, Villanova has prohibited its players from tweeting.

I respect Georgetown, so long ridiculed for sheltering its players and hiding them away from the public, for respecting its players’ freedom of speech and right to act like everyone else their age. But I think it begins to reflect negatively on the university when players take crossfire with random Internet posters into their own hands, and I believe it is time to do something about that.

Some would use the classic pro-guns argument that we shouldn’t ban the weapon, but rather just instruct those who wield it to use it properly. While there is some merit to this argument, I believe the temptation to respond to doubters is so strong that we shouldn’t expect 18- to 22-year-olds to ignore the temptation. Rather, we need to take it away.

Alternately, others would point out that many players use Twitter to keep in touch with friends back home and that for many, Twitter is a vital link to others in their life. But, with the proliferation of Facebook, email, Gchat, instant messaging, and other social media tools – to say nothing of the BlackBerrys, iPhones, SideKicks, and other devices most college kids have these days – it would be absurd to argue that Twitter is the *only* way to keep in touch.

I suppose there is a free speech argument to be made in opposition to a Twitter ban, but if the athletic department can keep its players from speaking to the media whenever it likes, it surely can keep the athletes off of Twitter, right?

I spent hours – days! – when I was a reporter and editor for THE HOYA pestering the athletic department for more access to the men’s basketball team, so I almost cannot believe that I am now calling for the folks in McDonough to close one of the few windows we have into what’s really going on with our beloved Hoyas. On balance, though, I think the benefits of an in-season ban on Twitter outweigh the drawbacks.

On this particular issue, it is time for Georgetown to act.

Bailey Heaps (COL ’09) is a former editor-in-chief of THE HOYA.

*To send a letter to the editor on a recent campus issue or Hoya story or a viewpoint on any topic, contact opinionthehoya.com. Letters should not exceed 300 words, and viewpoints should be between 600 to 800 words.*