Daily Orange /The Hoya Freshman midfielder Alex Kern dribbles the ball downfield.

For the second consecutive game, Georgetown field hockey was unable to sustain the momentum it built during the first several minutes and suffered their fourth consecutive loss, 6-1 at Towson. After the defeat, the Hoyas are 1-4, and facing a seven-game homestand that they hope to use to turn their season around.

“It was almost scary how much it resembled the Holy Cross game,” head coach Laurie Carroll said.

Just as in Sunday’s match, the Hoyas scored the opening goal and exhibited stellar play during the beginning of the first half.

“We came out and played great, even longer than against Holy Cross, for about 25 minutes,” Carroll said. “We were playing excellent defense, controlling the play and we were up 1-0. But when they scored, we gave up again.”

Senior defender Lauren Galbally scored the lone goal for the Hoyas, off a penalty stroke 19:28 into the first half. The Tigers responded seven minutes later, tying the score at 1-1. With just over five minutes remaining before the break, junior forward Julie Lambi broke Towson’s scoring record with her 27th career goal, putting her team out front for good.

During the second half, Towson scored twice within the first three minutes, and then added two more goals during a three-minute span late in the game. Six different players notched goals for the Tigers, while Lambi registered a goal and an assist to lead her side. The offensive output – particularly the 25-6 shot advantage – was more than Georgetown could withstand.

Once again, freshman goalkeeper Abby Winer was forced into an unusually busy afternoon and stopped 15 shots in the game. Her counterpart, senior Loren Wolf, had to make only two saves.

“It’s been our play when we don’t have the ball. When the other team scores, we’re retreating on defense,” Carroll said. “We know our freshman goalie is going to let in some goals, so we need to protect her.”

The Hoyas’ strong core of senior leaders, led by co-captains Galbally and midfielder Leeanne Rizzo, has also taken an active effort in keeping their teammates motivated and focused even during the struggles of the past two weeks.

Carroll added that her coaching staff has been trying to address her team’s first-half fades over the course of the last few games, but remains committed to their original mission.

“We have a good game plan . we’re not giving up on the game plan. When we follow it for 25 minutes it works,” she said, emphasizing the need for Georgetown to play at that level for a full 70 minutes. “We’re not giving up on our teammates. We’re going to stay the course.”

Monday offers the Hoyas their first crack at ending the losing streak, when University of Pacific comes to Kehoe at noon for the first of seven consecutive Georgetown home games.