TO THE EDITOR:

A week ago, my son, who resides in LXR Hall, returned from the library close to midnight. He locked his bike outside of the dorm with a black Master U-shaped lock. When he returned shortly thereafter to move the bike to the internal LXR courtyard, the bike was gone and his twisted Master lock was left on the ground. There was also an empty suitcase nearby.

The police informed my son that groups of thieves troll campuses in the city with suitcases of tools, steal bikes and then travel out of state to sell these bikes at used bike stores. The impression was that the thieves are professionals.

Last week, while walking through Red Square, my son found another Master lock on the ground, twisted and damaged in the exact same manner as his lock.

What is alarming to me is that the thieves are not only operating on the edges of Georgetown’s campus at LXR, but also at the heart of campus. If they feel comfortable in Red Square, where will they go next? What will they do next?

Bike thefts are not victimless crimes. There is a great sense of security that is lost in addition to the physical loss of property. Students are having their bikes stolen even when the bikes are secured with top-of-the-line locks. Has your newspaper addressed this issue? What pro-active security steps are being taken to deal with this issue? Are security cameras an option throughout the campus?

I would appreciate any attention that you could give to this matter. It is imperative that everyone feels safe on the GU campus.

Jessie M. Kane

Washington, D.C.

Feb. 2, 2007