The Year in Brief

July 2014 – DeGioia Becomes Longest-Serving President

University President John J. DeGioia, the first layperson to occupy Georgetown’s presidency, surpassed his predecessors 13 years after he ascended to the office in July 2001.

COURTESY ANDREW MINKOVITZ
COURTESY ANDREW MINKOVITZ

August 2014 – Alumni Donate to Thompson Athletic Center

Men’s basketball greats Patrick Ewing (CAS ’85), Roy Hibbert (COL ’08) and Jeff Green (COL ’12) contributed a total of $5.3 million to the construction of the John R. Thompson, Jr. Intercollegiate Athletics Center.

September 2014 – Syrian Performers Denied Visas

Twelve Syrian women scheduled to perform a play as part of the Myriad Voices festival, showcasing Muslim communities, were denied visas to enter the United States. A forum including a live videochat with the women replaced the production.

FILE PHOTO: MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA
FILE PHOTO: MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA

Nov. 14 – The Hilltoss Opens in HFSC

The debut of The Hilltoss, a smoothie and salad restaurant, in the Healey Family Student Center marked the first new store opening for Students of Georgetown, Inc. in more than 11 years.

Dec. 3 – Global Business Major Announced

The School of Foreign Service added an eighth major in global business and began the Global Business Fellows program, a collaboration between the SFS and the McDonough School of Business.

FILE PHOTO: DANIEL SMITH/THE HOYA
FILE PHOTO: DANIEL SMITH/THE HOYA

Dec. 10 – Healy Clock Hands Stolen

The clock hands of Healy Tower went missing early in the morning after unknown culprits stole them from the clock facing the front gates. The hands have yet to be recovered.

Jan. 15 – Global Futures Initiative Announced

University President John J. DeGioia announced the Global Futures Initiative, a new two-year-long initiative that will engage the entire university in an exploration of prominent global issues, namely development, governance, security and the environment.

FILE PHOTO: ISABEL BINAMIRA/THE HOYA
FILE PHOTO: ISABEL BINAMIRA/THE HOYA

Jan. 26 – CISR Rejects GU Fossil Free Proposal

The Committee on Investments and Social Responsibility voted against GU Fossil Free’s divestment proposal, instead recommending that Georgetown’s board of directors seek a concentrated course of action involving targeted divestment, strategic engagement and continued assessment. Following the proposal, the board of directors formed a working group on fossil fuel divestment in early April to discuss divestment with GU Fossil Free and CISR. The board will vote on CISR’s proposal in June.

Feb. 3-4 – SFS-Q Campus Celebrates 10th Anniversary

The School of Foreign Service campus in Qatar celebrated the 10th anniversary of its founding with a conference in early February exploring power dynamics in institutions throughout history.

FILE PHOTO: VALERIA BALZA/THE HOYA
FILE PHOTO: VALERIA BALZA/THE HOYA

Feb. 19 – Luther, Rohan Win GUSA Election 

After running an unorthodox, satirical campaign, Joe Luther (COL ’16) and Connor Rohan (COL ’16) received 54.1 percent of votes after four rounds of run-offs in the Georgetown University Student Association executive race. The election followed an intense 15 days of campaigning by the five executive tickets marked by heated debates between candidates. Despite their satire-driven platform, the duo took an action-oriented approach in their first days in office, appointing a 67-person cabinet and urging institutional changes in GUSA.

FILE PHOTO: ISABEL BINAMIRA/THE HOYA
FILE PHOTO: ISABEL BINAMIRA/THE HOYA

Feb. 28 – Rhino Bar Closes Its Doors

Rhino Bar & Pumphouse on M Street shut its doors due to rising rent costs. It will be replaced by retail store Club Monaco, ending a 63-year bar tradition at 3295 M Street.

March 2015 – Study Abroad Housing Options Altered

Since early 2014, students have pushed back against the Office of Residential Living’s housing policies for fall study abroad students, who were prevented from entering the housing lottery for the upcoming year and forced to wait until early fall to obtain spring housing. An IdeaScale petition advocating for greater flexibility in study abroad housing options garnered more than 540 signatures after its creation in early February. Following more than a year of back-and-forth between the ORL and students, the university announced earlier housing selection times for students studying abroad in the fall and the ability for housing groups to have semesterlong unfilled vacancies.

March 1 – 200th Anniversary of University Charter

Politicians from across D.C., including President Barack Obama and Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), congratulated Georgetown on the 200th anniversary of its federal charter.