The Doctor Is Lin

Identifiable by their trademark navy Polos and the walkie-talkies hanging from their belts, students in Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Service mean business. While many Hoyas view GERMS as the last resort for a drunken friend, for Hung “Jay” Lin (COL ’09), a biochemistry major from Holmdel, N.J., it means much more. A GERM since shortly after his arrival on the Hilltop last year, Lin sees GERMS as a way to practice the medicine he studies and use it to help and heal his fellow Hoyas.

How did you get involved with GERMS?

I [began] GERMS the fall of my freshman year, so I did it right when I got to Georgetown. I had always wanted to be involved in [Emergency Medical Technician] stuff. I wanted to do it in high school, but I didn’t have a chance to do it, so when I got here and heard that Georgetown has their own EMT squad, I thought, `Hey, I have my chance to do it now.’ It’s also good just to be able to explore the medical field.

What was the training process like?

It was alright. You spend a lot of time, about 10 hours a week in class, plus two to three hours a week in study time. It’s just like taking another class, or even more.

What was your first day on the job like?

I was pretty nervous. When I first got a call, my heartbeat began to race up. I was wondering what it would be like, but the first call I got was people stuck in an elevator, so we really didn’t do anything. All we had to do was wait there until the firemen came in and opened the elevator door. We didn’t even get to take vitals, so it was pretty lame.

Then I got four helipads in a row, where all you have to do is transfer the helicopter patient from the helipad to Georgetown Hospital. We got four of those in a row, but I still didn’t get to do anything – I was just transporting a patient.

What’s been the most memorable experience?

I saw someone die in the hospital. The patient came into Georgetown [University] Hospital, and she only had minor back pain, but during the course of the night, all her organs just deteriorated. We were trying to transport her from Georgetown Hospital in a helicopter to Washington Hospital, but then she just couldn’t make it. We were doing CPR on her and the doctor was there doing manual defibrillation, but then she just couldn’t make it. I was there witnessing the entire process in front of my eyes.

It was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. After I saw that, I was pretty low. I thought, `Is this what it’s going to be like when I become a doctor?’ I was so shocked by the fact that after the patient died, the doctor just didn’t even do anything. But they have to be that way because they see people die every day.

What’s it like taking care of drunk people all the time?

You just hope they don’t puke in your ambulance. Sometimes they’re fine when they’re on the street, but then you put them in your ambulance and they puke. That’s pretty gross. It’s kind of a good lesson not to get yourself too drunk. Sometimes they talk funny, and it’s embarrassing . The puking is always gross, especially the projectile puking.

What kind of medicine do you want to go into?

So far, dermatology. When I was young, I used to have a skin problem, so I think it would be great to be able to help people who have similar problems.

Got any other interesting hobbies?

Dancing. It’s really great. I encourage everyone to go. I go to this hip-hop class in Dupont Circle called `The Joy of otion.’ They have all kinds of dancing there, but I take hip-hop. It’s really great. . It’s great for guys because most of the people there are women. I mean, I don’t go there just for women. I go there, of course, to learn, not just for the physical appearance of women. You don’t really have time to be like, `Yeah, she’s hot,’ because you have to pay attention to your moves.