The “About” section on the Corp-sponsored Web site Hoyapedia.com says it all: “There is currently no text in this page.”

The site, which was created after members of The Corp conceived the idea over a year ago, functions like Wikipedia.com, allowing students to create and edit pages about organizations, events, classes, restaurants and other campus topics. So far though, with the exception of some detailed pages on various Corp organizations, many of the links go to blank pages or to sentence-long articles.

“The latest trend in online technology – referred to as Web 2.0 – is all about information sharing, collaboration and participation,” Will Handke (COL ’10) co-creator of Hoyapedia, said. With Hoyapedia, The Corp aimed to bring Web 2.0 to the Georgetown community.

The concept for a one-stop destination for club information was thrown out about a year and a half ago at a Corp upper management meeting. “Since then, [Hoyapedia.com] was largely developed as a community oriented pet-project under the major creative development of The Corp’s IT and marketing department,” Handke said.

“Most of the information you find on the Internet or elsewhere comes directly from the organization it describes – whether it be a restaurant, store or campus group,” Matt Ginsberg (COL ’11) said, the other co-creator of the Web site. “We wanted Hoyapedia to become a community where all students could share their insights and experiences.”

“Students possess the most valuable and candid knowledge about our community; it follows logically that there should be a means by which that information can be disseminated,” Handke said.

The format of the Web site is taken from the well-known format of Wikipedia. Students are allowed to edit the various pages of Hoyapedia at their discretion as long as their comments abide by the Wikimedia handbook, which is available online.

Despite an initial marketing campaign, which took place last semester involving flyers and an occasional advertisement in THE HOYA, The Corp has done little to promote the Web site.

Although there has not been a huge amount of activity on the site, those involved have not given up.

“After a small coalition of interested parties is involved, we will begin initiatives like flyering, possibly tabling, advertising in Corp services and other techniques,” Jesse Scharff (COL ’09), CEO of The Corp, said. “We will also attempt to gain access to other online tools like Saxaspeak.blogspot.com, for example, to link with Hoyapedia.”

Web 2.0 services generally do not bring in profits for the host, a trend that holds true for Hoyapedia and The Corp. The only costs associated with hosting the Web site are those associated with labor and the “incredibly small fees” associated with Web hosting, according to Handke. Even if the site fails to gain momentum, The Corp has pledged to continue funding.

As a testament to the site’s current popularity, as of Wednesday, the Web site was displaying a bulletin to purchase Common tickets, referring to last Spring’s campus concert.

“Ideally, if Hoyapedia were to be adopted by the Georgetown community, an active visitor might notice out of date information and remove it,” Handke said. “There is a member of the IT and M department who is tasked with overseeing Hoyapedia-related issues, however it is currently not in his job description to totally evaluate the timeliness of the articles.”

Conceptually, the site will maintain itself after enough organizations and users have logged on.