When you do not score, it makes it difficult to win ball games.

Georgetown (18-28) found out the hard way when the Hoyas traveled about a half hour north on Tuesday in a tussle with area rival Maryland. The Terps (29-10) used two superb pitching performances from junior Sarah Dooley and sophomore Lindsey Wright to stymie the Georgetown offense. The Maryland duo held the Hoyas to only four hits on the day as the Terps experience showed in this year’s edition of the Beltway battle.

In the first game, Georgetown had an opportunity to put early runs on the board thanks to a lead off single by sophomore first baseman Demetria Cipriano. Freshman third baseman McKinley Cooper followed that with a single to centerfield, and the Hoyas had runners at first and second with no one out. Two batters later, Georgetown freshman centerfielder Aimee Moffat grounded into a fielder’s choice advancing Cipriano to third base. With runners at the corners and two outs, sophomore catcher Suria Bahadue grounded out to third base to end the inning.

Georgetown sophomore Jennifer Connell delivered a solid effort, allowing only one run on four hits with two strikeouts, but a first inning walk gave the Terps a runner on base with two outs. The next batter, senior catcher Brittany Bessho found a pitch she liked and drove it deep for a triple, scoring senior first baseman Sarde Stewart. It would be all the Terps needed as Dooley put in a fantastic performance on the mound. The junior struck out nine batters including five in a row at one juncture for her fourth shutout of the season.

In the second game, the Hoyas turned the game ball over to freshman Melissa Conners, but the hungry Terrapins struck early for three runs in the first inning. Georgetown’s biggest scoring threat came in the fifth inning when junior outfielder Christina Gallinari doubled to left field to lead off the inning. That would be it for the Hoyas however, as the next three batters were retired to end the inning as well as any hope of catching up. The hit would be the only one of the day for the Hoyas who saw their offense turn anemic for the second straight game against the Terps.

Wright tossed her second complete game in as many starts, finishing with four strikeouts and only one hit. Conners lasted five and a third innings for Georgetown, tossing two strikeouts and allowing four earned runs. Four errors by Georgetown, coupled with the strong bats of the experienced Terps, played a part in the 8-0 setback in the second game against the ACC power.

The Hoyas return to action after a weekend off when the Blue and Gray hope to rebound in a doubleheader against George Mason in Fairfax, Va., on Wednesday.