Tenth-Ranked Hoyas Dominate Competition at Maisa Regatta

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown sailing team had a successful weekend, competing in three regattas. The co-ed team that traveled to Hampton University for the 2000 West Marine Middle Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association/South Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association regatta brought home a win for the first time in this event in Georgetown history.

A second co-ed squad finished fourth at the Old Dominion University Team Race, the highest finish ever for the Hoyas at this regatta. The women’s team, currently ranked No. 7 in the nation, placed a mediocre fourth out of six teams at the Princeton Women’s Spring Open.

The Hoyas completely dominated teams from New York to Florida in the MAISA/SAISA regatta, taking first place with 59 points. Charleston, the second place team, finished 57 points behind Georgetown with 116 points.

Junior John Camera and senior Kate Hewson won five races en route to a first-place finish in the A-division with 44 points. The highlight of the regatta was the phenomenal performances of sophomores Curtis Flood and Katherine Penberthy in the B-division, where they won 12 out of their 13 races to take the division by 47 points.

“Hardly anyone does that in college sailing. They were so far ahead of the competition,” Head Coach Mike Callahan said.

According to Callahan, the MAISA/SAISA regatta should help the co-ed squad move up this week.

“The fact that we won by so much votes pretty well for us,” Callahan said.

The outcome of the ODU Team Race looked as if it would be another victory for Georgetown as the Hoyas dominated the first six races, beating rivals St. Mary’s College and Hobart College in head-to-head competition. Georgetown entered the final four with a chance to win, but the rivals prevailed, leaving Georgetown with a 10-7 record and a fourth-place finish on the weekend.

Juniors Ryan Costello, Dana Scalere and Baye Emery, sophomores Brian Bissel, Ken Ward and Leah Williams and freshman Brent Stackhouse teamed up for the highest finish ever by a Georgetown team at this regatta.

At the Princeton Women’s Spring Open, freshman Liz Sampson and junior Paige Black teamed up to gain 35 points in the A-division. Freshmen Meredith Lahey and Emma Trentman competed in the B-division, finishing with 41 points. The Hoyas finished fourth overall with 76 points, 28 points behind the winner, Hobart College.

As Georgetown heads into the stretch of national championship qualifying regattas, it will use the next few weeks to tune up and look for even more success than last season. The women’s squad looks to gain a trip to nationals for the second year in a row, while the co-ed team hopes to break into the top two in their division to qualify as well.

“We’re in a tough division with five out of the top 10 teams the country in our region. It’s going to be close,” Callahan said.

The Hoyas will sail in three regattas this weekend – the Arrigan emorial Regatta at Georgetown, the Maryland Spring Open at Annapolis and the King’s Point Spring Open in King’s Point, N.Y.