The Georgetown University men’s tennis team battled to a first place finish at the 2001 Towson University 4+1 Invitational in Baltimore Oct. 12 and 13, while the Women’s Tennis Team dropped three consecutive matches at the ECAC Invitational Championships in Princeton, N.J.

The Towson Invitational, an eight-team tournament, is played in match format with four singles and one doubles match played simultaneously. The Hoyas defeated St. Joseph’s 3-2, Loyola 4-1 and Delaware 3-2 to win their bracket. In the final, Georgetown upset four-time defending champion and No. 1 seed University aryland-Baltimore County 3-2.

The senior tandem of captains Ken Jordan and Nick Sklavounos ignited Georgetown’s run to the finals by squeaking out a 4-6, 7-6, 6-1 double’s triumph over Delaware in Saturday morning’s decisive match. Also, freshman Erik Bildman came up big with three victories in singles play.

“Erik had a great weekend and won the decisive match against St. Joe’s on Friday morning,” Head Coach Rich Bausch said.

In the final against UMBC, with the team score deadlocked at two, Bildman saved three match points and closed out the team victory with a heart-stopping 7-5 triumph in the third set tiebreaker.

At No. 3 singles, senior tri-captain Andre Benjamin produced an emotional win against UMBC, battling back from a 6-2, 4-1 deficit to win the second set. Benjamin once again fell behind 4-1 in the third set, but gutted out a 6-4 victory, dashing UMBC’s championship hopes.

Coach Bausch looks at this win as a major step in the goal of ultimately reaching the six-team Big East Championships. The team continues competition at the Army Invitational Oct.19 through 21.

The women’s team went 0-3 at the 16-team ECAC Championships, losing hard-fought battles to No. 8 seed Princeton (7-0), Big East rival Rutgers (4-3), and local nemesis George Washington (5-2). Although the team did not manage a victory, Assistant Coach Kevin Rieder was more than pleased with the team’s effort.

“We played great tennis for a young team,” Rieder said, noting the inexperience of the starting team, which consists of three freshman, two sophomores and only one senior.

At No. 1 singles, freshman Liora Gelblum had a strong weekend losing only one match, against Princeton’s two-time NCAA qualifier Kavitha Krishnamurthy (6-2, 6-4).

Senior Caroline Marshall also produced a solid victory with a third set tiebreaker thriller against Rutgers.

In the match against George Washington, freshman Trina Snow persevered through two tiebreakers for a straight set victory. Snow was playing a notch up at No. 4 singles due to No. 2 singles Lydia Bartell’s ankle injury.

The women’s tennis team will travel to face Towson University Saturday, Oct. 20 at 11 p.m.