Florida Proves Unkind To Hoyas

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

Spring break in Florida proved to be no vacation for the Georgetown tennis teams. The men managed just one win in four matches, while the women lost all three of their matches.

The men began the break with a 7-0 loss to the University of Louisiana-Monroe March 6 in Coral Gables, Fla. Early on, the Hoyas found themselves in trouble when they lost all three doubles matches.

Georgetown’s freshman tandem of Marc Lohser and Troy Crichlow had their serve broken twice and ultimately fell 8-6 to Louisiana-Monroe’s Bailey and Dabrowski at the No. 1 position. eanwhile, senior Dave Boyer and sophomore Ken Jordan fell by an identical 8-6 score at the No. 3 spot.

Georgetown, already trailing entering the singles competition, was quickly overwhelmed by Louisiana-Monroe. Sophomore Andre Benjamin was the only Hoya to even win a set, yet he too was defeated, falling 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 to Dabrowski at No. 2 singles.

The next day, the men rebounded from the loss with a 5-2 victory over Boston University at the North Miami Tennis Center. Georgetown captured the doubles point by taking two of the three matches. At No. 2 doubles, sophomores Nick Sklavounos and Benjamin defeated Boston’s Mofsky and Moosa 8-5, while Georgetown’s Boyer and Jordan were victorious 8-2 over Frem and Deblank at the No.3 spot.

The Hoyas added to their early lead with solid singles play. Senior captain Beau Brewer won 6-1, 6-1 against Moosa at the No. 6 spot. At No. 5 singles, Lohser contributed a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Deblank. Crichlow sealed the win for Georgetown with a 6-1, 6-1 triumph over Mofsky at No.4, while Sklavounos added another point with a 6-4, 6-1 victory against Koetzke at the No.1 position.

The win against Boston would be the last taste of victory for the Hoyas on this trip. On Thursday, March 9, Georgetown was shutout 7-0 by Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla. The Hoyas put up little fight in the doubles competition, managing to win only three games during the three doubles matches.

Georgetown stepped up its play at singles, yet produced few results. Only Lohser, at No. 5 singles, was able to extend his match to a third set. However, he stumbled after winning the first set, falling 6-7 (7-5), 6-2, 6-1 to Lynn’s Sancho.

In their final match of the trip, the men took on Barry University March 11 in Miami Shores, Fla. It was a sour ending for the men as again they were shutout 7-0. The bright spot in the match for Georgetown came from the play of Boyer and Jordan at No. 3 doubles where they fought hard but ultimately lost 9-7 to Barry’s Baust and Lancombe. The Hoyas improved their play at singles, but again were unable to produce any wins.

With one win and three losses over the break, the men’s record has fallen to 3-10 on the year. This Saturday, they will face Big East rival St. John’s University in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.

The Georgetown women experienced similar difficulties over spring break. They began the vacation with a 9-0 loss to Big East rival Syracuse March 5 at the Montclair Country Club in Dumfries, Va.

Georgetown found itself outmatched against Syracuse. Many of the Hoyas battled tenaciously, but none were able to capture a victory. Georgetown’s best play came from seniors Sarada Ravindra and Lauren endes and sophomore Caroline Marshall.

At No. 2 singles, Ravindra was narrowly defeated 6-4, 6-4 by Syracuse’s Khvalina. At the No. 4 spot, Mendes too was close to victory but lost 6-4, 7-5 to Kabanova. Marshall struggled in the first set at No. 5 singles, fought back in the second set, yet was defeated 6-2, 7-5 by Borucka of Syracuse.

The women headed south for their next match, yet the change in latitude produced few changes on the court, as Georgetown fell 5-0 to Barry March 7 in Miami Shores, Fla.

Playing in a unique nine-point format in which the first team to secure five points wins, Georgetown found itself down 3-0 after the doubles competition. The twin tandem of seniors Lucky and Sarada Ravindra battled hard but lost 8-6 to Barry’s Courmes and Papandrea at the No. 1 position.

Following the doubles play, Barry quickly closed out the match as they rattled off two singles victories. Lucky Ravindra was defeated 6-0, 6-1 by Courmes at No. 1 singles, while Lauren Mendes was dispatched 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 4 spot by Miludinovic.

The following day, Georgetown traveled to Boca Raton to face Davidson College. In a well played match, Georgetown again came out on the short end of the stick, losing 6-3. In fact, the Hoyas took a 3-0 lead early on with singles victories at the No. 1, 5 and 6 positions.

Lucky Ravindra defeated Davidson’s Thompson 7-5, 6-2 at No. 1 singles, Georgetown’s Marshall was victorious 6-3, 6-4 over Holland at the No. 5 spot, and Hoya freshman Sarah White won 6-4, 6-2 over Brooks at the No. 6 position. However, the bad luck continued for Georgetown, as the women proceeded to drop all six of the remaining points in closely contested matches.

The three losses over break drops the women’s record to 3-6 on the year. This weekend, the women will face Big East rivals St. John’s Saturday and Seton Hall Sunday.