The Georgetown men’s tennis team opened the spring 2005 season with consecutive losses against local rivals Maryland and the Naval Academy this past weekend.

Although the Terrapins shut out the Hoyas, 7-0, freshmen Theodore Tywang and Andy Clayton, both fell in tight matches, each going to a third-set tie breaker. Tywang lost 10-6 and Clayton lost 10-5 in the deciding sets.

The Hoyas lost the other five matches in straight sets.

Georgetown faced Navy the next day and was unable to do much better. They won two matches but ended up losing 5-2. Navy struggled early on during the match, but Georgetown could not take advantage of its early pressure.

Sophomore Kevin Killeavy won the first match by defeating junior Brandon Carter, 6-3, 6-2, and in No. 6 singles Alex Wright beat sophomore Haley Dodson, 6-1, 6-4. The Hoyas lost their next four single matches easily. The Hoyas regained some composure with a doubles win as seniors Erik Bildman and Eric Conrad took down junior Brandon Carter and sophomore Nate Malnati, 8-4. But it was too little too late as the Midshipmen cruised to a 5-2 win.

The men will look to put this start behind them as they next play Rutgers on Feb. 20 on the McDonough Courts.

The women’s tennis team also opened its spring campaign this past weekend, taking part in the Virginia Commonwealth Invitational and playing the Pittsburgh Panthers in a dual match.

They put up a better showing than their male counterparts, beating the Panthers 6-1, but lost 5-0 to East Carolina and VCU at the invitational.

The Hoyas started off well at the invitational with freshmen Elizabeth Winokur and Stephanie Cohen stretching their opponents to a third-set tiebreaker, but just like the men they could not carry on the pressure and succumbed. The Hoyas never came close to victory after that, as they lost eight consecutive matches – three against East Carolina and five against VCU.

The Hoyas lost all four singles matches in straight sets to VCU. Winokur and Cohen teamed up for the doubles match, and once again they put in an impressive performance but failed at the final hurdle, losing 6-0, 6-7 (3) and 10-4.

Facing the Pittsburgh Panthers on Saturday, the Hoyas ended up as comfortable winners with a 6-1 score, sweeping the singles matches. Winokur and Cohen showed their impressive talents again, comfortably beating junior Beckie Emmers and senior Jill Williams, respectively, in their singles matches. Senior Liddy Bartell and freshman Adriann Gin also picked up singles wins.

The women’s team will look to improve when it next takes on Maryland at College Park, Md., tomorrow.