Tennis Aced in Virginia

The Georgetown tennis team’s first invitational since Head Coach Richard Bausch’s resignation was marked by tough losses for the Hoyas.

Now with a record of 0-4 at the start of spring season, the men’s team must fight hard to qualify for the Big East championships.

The Hoyas lost all five of their matches to host Virginia Commonwealth, fell 4-1 against East Carolina and lost 3-2 against both James Madison and Campbell.

The Hoyas did enjoy a few wins, however.

Freshman Kenneth Wong cruised to victory over ECU’s Britton Steele as the No. 4 singles player, posting a score of 6-0, 6-2. In the remaining four matches against ECU, Georgetown was on the receiving end of similar defeats.

Sophomore Ted Tywang and junior Kevin Killeavy posted 6-4, 6-2 and 6-3, 6-4 wins, respectively, in their singles matches against Campbell, but the rest of the team saw heavy losses.

Against James Madison, sophomore Scott Maucher downed John Snead 6-2, 4-6, 6-1, and freshman Kevin Walsh defeated Brian Rubenstein, 6-1, 7-5. But the team still failed to grab a victory despite a close match between sophomore Etienne Paris and Jesse Tarr Jr. James Madison’s Tarr took the win with a 6(4)-7, 6-4 score.

JMU’s Carlin Campbell and Bob Allensworth and Georgetown juniors Kevin Killeavy and Scott Faust also engaged in a tough doubles match but the Hoyas defeated 6-3, 7-6(3).

The men will next be playing University of Maryland-College Park on Feb. 4. The women’s first turn to play comes this weekend, as they travel to the VCU 4-1 Invitational.