To the Editor:

I find it remarkable that Georgetown University appointed George Tenet to anything, let alone a professorship.

George Tenet? The “slam-dunk” CIA director? Have you no shame?

With this one act, a once fine Jesuit university has abandoned everything the Ratio envisioned, making Georgetown eligible only for the most debased usage of the term “Jesuitical,” particularly at this time of the year, with Tenet’s questionable record. 

I find the appointment overtly political, of a CIA administrator who, all evidence suggests, contributed to an invasion of a nation against long-standing “just war” principles, in the absence of such supporting information (that information being his particular responsibility), and this appointment at a time of a political election.

What are you doing, Georgetown?

This appointment by an (otherwise, we would like to presume) Jesuit-principled school is a shameless, self-serving act. It need not happen, not now.

And you should know better than to have sanctioned this silly appointment, as Jesuit schools, if they wish to remain so, need to deal with Ignatian principles for discernment. 

Charles T. Tackney, Ph.D. Asian Studies Program Director Copenhagen Business School Copenhagen, Denmark Oct. 19, 2004

To the Editor:

I am concerned that Georgetown University may have a human rights violator in its employ.

The employee in question is George J. Tenet.

At a June 2004 press conference, Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld stated that Mr. Tenet, then Director of Central Intelligence, requested that an Iraqi detainee be hidden from the International Committee of the Red Cross.

At that news conference, Rumsfeld stated that he complied with Tenet’s request by ordering the U.S. military to hold the detainee in secret. Reportedly, the military secretly held that “ghost detainee” for more than seven months.

“We were asked not to immediately register the individual, and we did that,” Rumsfeld said.

In light of the above, I am concerned that GU may be employing someone who has, in concert with others, violated the Geneva Conventions and perhaps 18 U.S.C. § 2441, the U.S. War Crimes Act.

Thomas Prindiville Higgins

San Jose, Calif.

Oct. 21, 2004