Starting the season on the right foot, the Georgetown men’s tennis team captured the title at the 2003 Baltimore-Washington Challenge with two shutout victories this weekend. The team suffered from the loss of three graduated players and needed to build cohesion and consistency. It had a fairly strong start in its early matches, and this year’s team repeated the trend. Proving themselves on their home courts, the Hoyas won 11 of their 12 matches in straight sets to defeat Towson University and Loyola College (Md.).

In the victory, Georgetown received contributions from every player on the team, with seven Hoyas playing both singles and doubles in the tournament. Freshmen Eddie Carver, Scott Faust and Kevin Killeavy all posted wins in their first collegiate matches. With one of the strongest Hoya performances on the day, Faust defeated senior Dan Selzer of Towson and later, in his doubles match with teammate Carver, posted the only shutout set win over sophomores Bill Horne and Turner Bailey of Loyola, 8-0. Junior Chad ihalick was the only Hoya to lose any sets in the tournament, dropping his first set 2-6 to Loyola senior Jonathon Falcichio. He rebounded to win 6-2 and 10-4 in his final sets of the day.

While the men were at home, the women’s tennis team was on the road, playing in the Bucknell Invitational in Lewisburg, Pa. Competing against seven other teams including fellow Big East opponents Pittsburgh and Villanova, Georgetown posted strong individual results.

The top performer for the Hoyas was junior Monisha Ghia, who made it to the finals of the “B” bracket in the singles draw. Winning her first three matches, Ghia lost in the final, 2-6, 0-6, to Duquesne freshman Jackie Hughes. Georgetown senior Lara adonia, also in the “B” bracket, rebounded to win two matches after dropping her opening round match to Pittsburgh senior Hayley Hughes.

Four freshmen made their debuts for the Hoyas in the tournament and all were able to secure at least one collegiate victory. Nora Gardner and Sana Malouf competed in the “C” bracket and each earned one win. Eileen Boyle and Kristin Dew, competing in the “D” bracket, each advanced to the semifinals before falling to Villanova competitors.

This weekend, both the men and women are at home for the 27th Annual D.C. Metropolitan Tennis Championships, a gathering of local universities. The tournament begins Friday on the McDonough Courts.