Post Tagged with: "fire"

WILL CROMARTY FOR THE HOYA

Hazmat Units Respond to Chemical Fire in Regents Laboratory

Emergency, fire and hazmat units responded to a chemical fire in a Regents Hall science laboratory Friday evening. The fire involved a “small amount of a chemical” and occurred in a “controlled environment,” according to a spokesperson for D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services. The incident was declared “all clear”[Read More…]

by November 17, 2017 0 comments Campus News, News, News - Top

EDITORIAL: Clarify Free Speech Policy

Georgetown University received a dubious distinction last Wednesday after landing on the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education’s list of the 10 worst colleges for free speech. For a university that has, in the past two years, hosted speakers of every ilk and creed, from Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) to[Read More…]

by February 28, 2017 6 comments Editorial, Opinion, Opinion - Top
Study Ranks Georgetown Low for Free Speech

Study Ranks Georgetown Low for Free Speech

Georgetown University was included in a list of the 10 worst colleges for free speech compiled by the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education based on free speech cases the foundation has worked on during the previous year. In a report released Wednesday, FIRE — a nonprofit focused on defending[Read More…]

by February 24, 2017 1 comment City News, News, News - Top

Congressional Committee Scrutinizes GULC Free Speech Policy

Georgetown University Law Center’s prohibition of students campaigning for the upcoming presidential election came under congressional scrutiny at a Subcommittee on Oversight hearing of the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee entitled “Protecting the Free Exchange of Ideas on College Campuses” on March 3. The GULC cites its tax-exempt status[Read More…]

by March 18, 2016 0 comments City News, News, News - Top
courtesy fire
The GULC received a letter from FIRE, a nonprofit advocating for individual rights at American universities on behalf of students restricted from political campaigning on campus.

GULC Under Fire For Campaign Policy

Georgetown University Law Center Dean William Treanor received an open letter from the Foundation of Individual Rights in Education Feb. 1 urging the university to revise its student organization policy after the center banned students from campaigning for presidential candidates. The GULC cites its tax-exempt status as grounds to prohibit[Read More…]

by February 9, 2016 0 comments City News, News, News - Top

Dupont Owners Fined

The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs fined Len Salas and Max E. Salas, the owners of the Dupont Circle house where Georgetown graduate Nina Brekelmans (GRD ’15) died in a fire June 3, $6,000. The men received three infraction notices of $2,000, charging that the house was not properly[Read More…]

by November 13, 2015 0 comments City News, News
FACEBOOK.COM

Georgetown Graduate Dies in Dupont Circle Fire

Recent Georgetown graduate Nina May Brekelmans (GRD ‘15) died in an electrical fire in her home near Dupont Circle June 3. She was 25. Michael Patrick McLoughlin, 24, also died in the fire, and five others were injured. Although Sherri Kimbel, a representative from the Office of Councilmember Jack Evans[Read More…]

by June 5, 2015 1 comment Campus News, News, News - Top
COURTESY KRISTI KING (WTOP)

2 Students Reportedly Die in Dupont Circle Fire

Update 1:12 p.m (June 5, 2015): One Georgetown student, Nina Brekelmans (GRD ’15), was confirmed to have died in the fire. The other victim was a University of Maryland graduate. See full story here: Georgetown Graduate Dies in Dupont Circle Fire. Two Georgetown students died in a Dupont Circle house fire early[Read More…]

by June 3, 2015 0 comments Campus News, News, News - Top
Kathleen Guan/The Hoya

Good Stuff Eatery Closes Temporarily After Electrical Fire

Good Stuff Eatery, located on the 3200 block of M St., will be closed for several days following an electrical fire that broke out in the restaurant Saturday morning around 8 a.m. According to The Washington Post, the small electrical fire was contained to the kitchen, and no one was[Read More…]

by May 2, 2015 0 comments City News, News, News - Top
ANDREW WALLENDER/THE HOYA
Firefighters arrived on scene at Poulton Hall after a fire broke out at the building. They cordoned off the area around the hall.

‘Urinetown’ Evacuated After Fire at Poulton Hall

An electrical fire in the room next to the Mask and Bauble stage caused an evacuation of Poulton Hall Friday night around 10 p.m. According to Vice President for Planning and Facilities Management Robin Morey, the fire was caused by a small water leak in a sink with an instant hot[Read More…]