Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya Teammates cheer on fellow swimmers during the 200m freestyle relay at Saturday’s meet.

In their second dual meet of the season, neither the men nor women of the Georgetown swimming and diving teams were able to secure the win, dropping the meet 143-98 on the women’s side and 143-96 on the men’s side in Newark, Del. as the Hoyas took on the University of Delaware Blue Hens on Saturday at the Harry Rawstrom Natatorium.

“We were a little slow getting started,” head coach Bethany Bower said, “but in the second half we really started swimming our races. I think the men underestimated their opponents and the women were a bit intimidated, but once we saw we could keep up with them we put together much better races.”

Despite the loss, the Hoyas were again able to put up strong individual efforts. For the women, the top performers were again sophomore Katie Amaro and seniors Juliana Bonilla and Kathryn Harrison. Amaro, who won the 200yd and 100yd freestyle races last weekend against Loyola College, was able to pick up a win in the 500yd freestyle this weekend and a second place finish in the 200yd freestyle. Amaro’s time of 5:11.72 in the 500yd was three seconds off her personal best in that event.

“Katie knew she should have won her 200,” Bower said. “She told the rest of the team that we could win these races and she really got us going in the second half. We stopped swimming our races from behind and went out to win.”

In diving, Georgetown was able to sweep the women’s side with wins from Bonilla in the three-meter and Harrison in the one-meter diving competitions. The women’s three-meter diving competition was possibly the closest of the day, with Bonilla winning the event with a score of 208.54, just .04 points over freshman Sarah Bergan of Delaware. Bonilla finished behind Harrison for second in the one-meter competition in her second event of the day, while Harrison took third in the three-meter behind Bonilla and Bergan.

On the men’s side, junior Kevin Walsh and freshman Terry Huang again led Georgetown. Swimming the butterfly and backstroke, Walsh picked up a win in the 200yd butterfly, followed by teammates sophomore Heath Walden and junior Brad Perez, giving the Hoyas a sweep of the event. Walsh also finished third in the 200yd backstroke with a time of 2:04.59, a personal best.

“Kevin has been sitting back these past few years behind Bryan Evangelista, who was one of our captains last year,” said Bower, “and is a new one on the radar who is just beginning to show us what he can really do.”

As the only men’s diver for the Hoyas, Huang took his second straight win in the three-meter diving competition while also picking up a second-place finish in the one-meter.

Other wins were picked up by sophomore Kevin Rieffel in the 500yd freestyle, junior Michael Bayer in the 50yd freestyle and junior Peter Nguyen in the 200yd breaststroke.

The Hoyas will look for the first wins of the season in their next dual meet versus Seton Hall on Sunday, Nov. 9 in South Orange, N.J. The Seton Hall men are currently 2-1, while the women are still looking for their first win of the fall.