A week after defeating weaker opponents Radford, Virginia ilitary Institute and Howard, the men’s swimming and diving teams met the formidable American University in Tenleytown, where they split the meet.

The women’s team won 155-84 to move to 7-4 on the year, while the men lost 128-105, falling to 3-5 on the season.

The women’s team was led by senior tri-captain Corinne Rhodes and freshman diver Jessica Rettig, who set a school record in the one-meter diving event with a score of 255.98. With the score, Rettig qualified for the Big East tournament. The Hoyas swept the diving events; sophomore Katie Oldham won the three-meter event with a score of 247.05.

The women began the day with a victory in the first race and never looked back. Junior and sophomore sisters Liz and Claire Nugent teamed up to lead the 400-yard medley relay. The Hoyas finished that race in 4:05.7 and handily won the race by 11 seconds over another team of Hoyas. The American team was disqualified from the relay and the women’s dominance continued from that moment on.

Rhodes, coming off of a stellar performance last week where she won the 200m breaststroke, finished first in the 50yd freestyle and the 100yd backstroke with times of 25.90 and 1:08.99, respectively.

Fellow senior tri-captain Katie Amaro led a quartet of swimmers including sophomore Megan Maragakes, sophomore Kelcy Poulson and senior Julie Dougherty to a victory in the 400yd freestyle relay. The team convincingly captured the race with a time of 3:50.51, 14 seconds faster than the next closest competition.

On the men’s side of the pool, senior tri-captain Santini Reali continued his excellent season by sweeping the men’s diving events for the second week in a row. Reali posted a score of 269.18, a score good enough to qualify for the Big East championships.

Freshman Daniel Robinson continued his success from last week’s meet by finishing second in the 500yd freestyle event. His time of 4:56.78 was only two seconds slower than that of American winner, Steven Brennan.

Both the Hoyas and Eagles came into Saturday’s meet with something to prove. The Hoyas were looking for credibility in the tough Big East while the American Eagles were trying to continue the success of a program that has produced six Olympians and 18 All-NCAA swimmers.

Despite their vastly different goals, the teams were quick to leave the competition and shake hands with their opponents before sharing the pool to cool down.