Image Contributor
;

Sweetgreen is spreading its roots to new soil.

With business strong a year after opening their doors, restaurant owners and Georgetown graduates Nick Jammet (MSB ’07), Jonathan Neman (MSB ’07) and Nathaniel Ru (MSB ’07) have decided to branch out from their M Street location to two new locations: One store will open in Dupont Circle before the end of the year, and the second will open in Bethesda, Md., in early 2009.

Since its grand opening in August 2007, Sweetgreen has seen consistent and unexpected profit margins over the course of its first year in business, Jammet said.

Jammet, Newman and Ru all took the entrepreneurship class at Georgetown and felt there was a need in the marketplace for a specialty salad shop. Newman called the project a type of thesis for his senior year.

“Before we opened, we outlined three financial projections: worst case, most likely case and best case. And, over the past year, we have performed financially at least in best case or over,” he said.

Sweetgreen has made a significant profit over the past year by selling its signature salads, wraps and Sweetflow yogurt, all of which are made from natural, home-grown ingredients. The Zagat-rated restaurant now has the green to spread its concoctions around the area.

The Georgetown Sweetgreen, which is no more than 560 square feet, caters to a clientele of mostly young adults and students; Jammet said 30 percent of customers are Georgetown students.

Given the minimal space, seating has been an obstacle for the Georgetown location, which only has a few benches and tables outdoors. Both new establishments will feature a spacious dine-in area with long communal tables made out of five-year-old reclaimed antique hickory wood. The tables are expected to seat 30 to 40 customers.

The Dupont Circle location will be six times larger than the Georgetown location, Jammet said.

enu choices will remain unchanged. Interior décor and architecture will be spearheaded by CORE, a D.C.-based architecture firm that designed popular Georgetown restaurants such as Mie N Yu on M Street and BlackSalt on MacArthur Boulevard.

“Sweetgreen is such a good idea, and it’s encouraging to see that the guys who started this idea are from GU,” Chris Piper (COL ’09) said. “The green movement is so big right now.”

“We took a full year to really develop the operation,” Jammet said. “It was very important in this first year to create a cohesive brand in solidifying our identity.”

Sweetgreen has been named a Certified Green Restaurant by the Green Restaurant Association.