SW Quad Beautification To Be Senior Gift

The Class of 2001 has selected a Southwest Quadrangle beautification project as its senior class gift.

In an online vote on Wednesday, the senior class chose the Southwest Quadrangle beautification project, which will include several benches, a plot of trees and a plaque, from a list of six potential gifts. The vote took place online through the SAXA Server Project and had 33 percent participation among seniors.

“The top choice was a plot of the Southwest Quadrangle put aside for our class,” Jamal Epps (COL ’01), chair of the Senior Class Gift Committee, said. “That is the choice, but we did have a close second in the student center in Village C.”

The runner-up project aims to restore the Village C Formal Lounge as a new student center with a community room, pool tables, a compact disc juke box, a large screen television, furniture and a kitchen as well as a sound proofed classroom and practice room for performing arts groups.

The Senior Class Gift Committee hopes to give money to both projects as long as there are enough funds, Epps said.

“We are looking at the total cost,” he said. “If we do have money left over, we will give it to [the student center] project.”

Now that the gift has been selected, the gift committee, in conjunction with the Senior Class Committee and the Office of Alumni and University Relations, plans to start fundraising.

Seniors must give a minimum $5 donation to count for participation.

According to Epps, the kickoff event will be held at Lulu’s New Orleans Cafe, tentatively scheduled for March 22.

“Typically, the kickoff celebration has produced a good amount of donations,” Epps said.

The fundraising will continue until graduation, the deadline for the project. According to Epps, the gift committee has set a goal of 70 percent participation for donation among seniors. The Class of 1999 reached nearly 69 percent, and this year’s seniors would like to outdo that, Epps said.

Epps said having OAUR onboard for the project usually helps the total gift grow beyond the class’ personal donations. “Generally, we have alumni that match the senior contribution,” Epps said.

According to Epps, the senior class contribution usually totals $13,000 to $15,000, while the total gift, after alumni assistance, has reached $50,000.

Other gifts that the Class of 2001 did not select include a senior fund, a Volunteer and Public Service van and a SafeRides car. The Senior Class Gift Committee plans to send an official letter with the results to seniors after spring break.