Image Contributor
Junior forward DaJuan Summers will forgo his senior season to enter the NBA draft.

Georgetown announced today that junior forward DaJuan Summers has declared for the NBA draft, intends to hire an agent and will not return for his senior season. Summers has played in 101 games for the Hoyas, scoring 1,129 points.

“We wish DaJuan all the best in his future endeavors, wherever they may take him,” said Head Coach John Thompson III in a press release. “He informed me that he is closing the book on his college career and focusing fully on the opportunity to play professionally. He is in the process of choosing an agent.”

Summers, who led the Hoyas with 13.6 points per game this season, had told reporters in February that he intended to return for his senior season. By signing with an agent, Summers will forgo his amateur status and will not be eligible to return to play collegiate basketball.

Summers’ junior season, Georgetown’s worst since 2003-04, left many wanting more. He scored 21 points in the Hoyas’ victory over Memphis, 18 points in Georgetown’s win at No. 2 Connecticut, 22 against Pittsburgh several days later and 21 against both Syracuse and Duke later in January. But he had just seven points in a Feb. 7 home loss to Cincinnati, four points in the Feb. 23 defeat at the hands of Louisville, and nine points in Georgetown’s March 10 Big East tournament loss to St. John’s.

Of more concern than Summers’ inconsistent scoring, however, was the lack of variety in his game. Though he played the power forward position and was asked to shoulder much of the Hoyas’ interior burden, Summers did little of his offensive damage inside and averaged just 4.1 rebounds per game, failing to ever tally double-digit rebounds as a junior.

What’s more, Summers contributed just 39 assists in 31 games, while turning the ball over 81 times. He led the team with 81 fouls committed – not inherently a bad thing – but often found himself in early-game foul trouble.

Still, the highly-touted recruit out of McDonogh School in Owings Mill, Md., made considerable contributions to the Georgetown program over the past three seasons. Summers started 34 games as a freshman, averaging 9.2 points per game en route to the Final Four. He scored 20 points in the Hoyas’ 96-84 win over North Carolina in the 2007 East Regional final.

As a sophomore, Summers averaged 11.1 points and 5.4 rebounds, and he nailed the game-winning, league-title-clinching three pointer to defeat Louisville on March 8, 2007.

During his career, he won two Big East regular season titles, a league tournament title, and five NCAA tournament games.

any expected Summers to fill the role vacated by Jeff Green after 2006-07, largely because of Summers’ size and athleticism, but that was never a role Summers was asked to fulfill, or was even capable of doing.

“I think people expected, wanted, DaJuan to do the things that Jeff did, in as much as they are very similar, and I think that a lot of people may have judged his year based on their desire for him to do the things that Jeff did. Maybe that’s natural, but I don’t work like that,” Thompson said before this season began. “If people are still looking for DaJuan to be Jeff Green, that’s not going to happen – and that’s not to say he’s not going to be more effective in other ways than Jeff was – but he’s a different person. He’s a different player and I think he’s ready to have a good year.”

As of last Wednesday, DraftExpress.com projected Summers as the second pick of the second round in this year’s draft. ESPN’s Chad Ford has Summers 47th on his list of the top 100 NBA prospects, though NBADraft.net sees Summers as a mid-to-late first rounder.

The Hoya could not immediately reach Thompson or Summers for comment.