By Tracy Zupancis Hoya Staff Writer

Three years after its inception, The Georgetown Journal of International Affairs unveiled its premier issue on Wednesday night at a reception in Riggs Library.

The Journal was conceived by Jeremy Goldberg (SFS ’99) in cooperation with Miguel Buckenmeyer (MSFS ’98) and David Henschel (MSFS ’99). The premier issue was published under the guidance of Editors-In-Chief Stephanie Kaplan (SFS ’00) and Ben Powell (MSFS ’00) and with the support of their patrons committee, chaired by Christiane Amanpour of the Cable News Network. The Daimler Chrysler Corporation Fund, the Journal’s corporate funding sponsor, awarded the publication $15,000. An additional $25,000 was raised through alumni donations.

School of Foreign Service Dean Robert L. Gallucci opened the reception, terming the publication of the inaugural issue “an event that makes all of us at the university extremely proud.” He discussed his initial skepticism when first approached by Goldberg and Goldberg’s perseverance in gaining the support of graduate students, faculty members and aiding in the establishment of a class to train students to write for an international affairs publication. “It has been an extraordinary student accomplishment of high quality,” Gallucci said.

Amanpour then addressed the roughly 100 students, faculty members and guests assembled. She said that she hoped the Journal might “disprove, one more time, this nonsensical view that keeps getting peddled around in this country that Americans don’t care about foreign views or international affairs. I know that that’s not true … Anytime I have an opportunity to disprove that theory I’m delighted to do it.”

Amanpour additionally spoke about the importance of good journalism, which she said has the potential to be “one of the most noble, one of the most valuable and one of the most useful professions, because when journalism is relevant, as opposed to irrelevant, trivial and sensational, it’s everything … Information is everything.” She thanked the patrons of the Journal for their support and congratulated the students and alumni who supported the publication from its beginning.

Powell followed Amanpour by thanking Gallucci, the founding editors, advisory board, the SFS deans’ office, the development office, legal counsel, the university counsel members and all those associates, editors and authors who contributed their time to the publication.

Kaplan echoed Powell’s thanks, emphasizing the important role played by Goldberg, Buckenmeyer and Henschel, saying “they had such incredible vision, had to inspire a generation of students and help fulfill a dream when they were long gone.”

Buckenmeyer spoke of the origins of the Journal. The Georgetown Compass was the initial university international affairs publication, written and headed by graduate students. With Goldberg’s desire to begin a publication that would be a joint effort between undergraduate and graduate students, Henschel’s support and Buckenmeyer’s own aims of improving The Compass in import, the concept of the Journal was first conceived. “Continue this and give it your all, because it really is a great thing,” Buckenmeyer said.

Goldberg also explained the early stages of the Journal, recalling “it really struck me at the tremendous gap between Georgetown with its reputation as one of the premier schools of international affairs, though it didn’t have a foreign affairs publication commensurate to its name.” Goldberg said that the support of the graduate students as well as Gallucci proved integral to the successful publication of the Journal. “We wanted to be a professional publication … and I think you’ll see that the look, the feel and even the business strategy all reaches toward that aim.”

“I learned so much from the undergraduates and graduates,” Henschel said, “and I am extremely proud of having brought our vision to fruition.” Henschel pointed to the important role played by students and expressed his hope that people will continue to write quality work for the Journal.

The reception concluded with the unveiling of the cover of the inaugural issue. The Journal is slated to be published two times a year.