A student was reportedly robbed at gunpoint by three males several blocks from campus while walking home from The Tombs early Friday morning.

Dan Shindle (COL ’09) said he was walking along 35th Street approaching the corner of Dent Place around 1:15 a.m. on Friday when he saw something move in the darkness.

“I didn’t think much of it, so I kept going and then I heard someone say, `Go, go, go,’ and a black guy a little taller than me held a black semi-automatic handgun to my face,” he said, adding that it was as if they had been waiting there. “Another guy came up from behind me and started to strangle me with his forearm, and a third guy searched through all of my pockets.”

Shindle said the one suspect choked him to the point where he tried to gasp, “I can’t breathe,” although they did not hit him. Shindle said he sustained no injuries.

The suspects proceeded to take Shindle’s cell phone, passport and wallet, which contained his driver’s license, several credit cards and $20 in cash, according to the police report. The Metropolitan Police Department estimated the value of the property stolen at around $245 dollars.

Shindle’s passport, keys and wallet were recovered on a resident’s lawn near Dent Street, and were returned to the Department of Public Safety. There was no cash left in the wallet, Shindle said.

Shindle said the suspects then ran eastbound on Dent Place toward Wisconsin Avenue.

Shindle notified DPS, who alerted MPD.

Shindle described the suspect who produced the handgun as a 6-foot-1 male with dreadlocks. There was no physical description of the other two suspects in the report.

“It was too dark and happened too fast for me to really get a good look,” Shindle said. “Also, when I was being strangled, I was facing upwards so I couldn’t see them well.”

PD broadcast a lookout for the three perpetrators at 2:09 a.m. on Friday, the report states.

“I was supposed to keep in contact with [MPD], but they haven’t responded to my e-mail telling them that I didn’t have a phone, so I don’t know what’s going on with that,” Shindle said.

As of Monday, no suspects have been apprehended, and the case is still under investigation.

eanwhile, Shindle expressed frustration with security in the neighborhood, saying he believes that DPS or MPD should have a stronger patrol in the areas around campus.

“Even if I were walking home with one or more other people, the three assailants could still have easily mugged us given that they had a gun,” Shindle said. “I know I shouldn’t walk home alone, but I still don’t feel safe walking around this neighborhood at night even with my friends.”

DPS could not be reached for comment.

– Hoya Staff Writer Bailey Heaps contributed to this report.