Student Arrested in Possible Hate Crime

A Georgetown student was arrested by the Metropolitan Police Department yesterday as one of the suspects in a possible hate crime against another Georgetown student that occurred near campus earlier this month.

An arrest warrant was issued for Philip Cooney (MSB ’10) on Wednesday and MPD Chief Cathy Lanier announced yesterday that Cooney had been arrested, NBC4 reported on its Web site. Cooney was charged for simple assault, according to officer at MPD’s Second District.

Cooney’s arrest stems from an incident that occurred on 36th Street between O and P Streets on Sept. 9 in which a lone male was allegedly attacked by a group of males yelling homophobic slurs, according to NBC4. THE HOYA could not confirm the victim’s identity.

Cooney could not be reached for comment.

“Although it is tempting to believe that such a hate crime would have never occurred at Georgetown, we must now deal with the reality that this heinous crime has indeed happened,” the board of GUPride wrote in a Facebook note posted by Scott Chessare (SFS ’10), Pride’s co-president, early this morning.

The note also outlined the events of the night in question, adding that the victim was a Georgetown student and was hospitalized after the attack.

NBC4 reported that the police identified Cooney through Facebook. The victim, who suspected the assailant was a Georgetown student, searched Facebook for photos of someone who fit the description of the man who attacked him and found him on the Web site, according to NBC4.

“The Metropolitan Police Department takes all crime seriously and is committed to bring a swift end to crimes of hate and bias,” Lanier told NBC4.

This attack was the first of three hate crimes that took place in Northwest D.C. this month, which, the MPD told The Washington Post, were unrelated.

Chessare said in an interview that GU Pride is “extremely shocked that something like this happened at Georgetown.” He said that GU Pride will be rallying in Red Square on Monday and handing out information on the bias reporting system, through which members of the Georgetown community can report incidents of prejudice, tomorrow.

“I don’t think it’s a security issue,” he said. “There is a lack of education and awareness. . ost people are waiting on the sidelines and aren’t taking a stance.”