GU (12-17) Tops UMES, Falls to Mount St. Mary’s

By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

Coming off their first win in conference play last weekend against St. Johns, the Georgetown baseball team split their next two games, losing a near-comeback victory, 6-4, to Mount St. Mary’s Tuesday and then crushing University of Maryland Eastern Shore, 17-9, Wednesday.

An ineffective start and a throwing error by junior Matt Arizin, who pitched 2 1/3 innings with seven hits and three walks and had four errors, allowed the Mountaineers to score five quick runs in the first and second innings to take a 5-1 advantage. After facing a 2-0 deficit in the second, junior catcher Pat Wade singled home freshman Jason Boice to halve the lead before Mount St. Mary’s could re-open the spread to four runs in the bottom half of their inning.

The Hoyas would rally late, posting two runs in the eighth and one more in the ninth on a lead-off home run by senior left fielder Josh Corman , but it wouldn’t be enough as Georgetown fell short of the five-run mark for the sixth time in seven games. Junior Brian Cassese sparked the rally in the eighth with a one-run double, scoring junior third baseman Eric Santana and advancing Boice to third, after the two led off the inning with back-to-back walks. Wade would strike again with a sacrifice fly to score Boice and record his second RBI of the game.

After bringing the game within two runs on Corman’s blast, the Hoyas loaded the bases with only one out. The tying run would remain on second, however, as Georgetown caught an unlucky break with Cassese lining into a double play to end the game.

Replacing Arizin in the third inning, sophomore Tony Pina recorded a strong 5 2/3 innings, limiting the Mountaineers to one run on three hits.

Despite a somewhat diminished offensive showing as of late, the Hoyas exploded at the plate against UMES. The Hoyas tallied a total of 17 runs, with eight crossing the plate in the first inning.

Georgetown erupted behind the efforts of freshman Matt Carullo (4 for 5, three RBI, two runs), Boice (2 for 5, four RBI, two runs) and Brian Cassese (3 for 6, two RBI, run). Sophomore Eric Sutton contributed as well, with a 3-for-6 day at the plate, two runs scored and an RBI.

Wade continued his recent hitting hot streak going 2 for 4, with two RBI and two runs scored.

While the offense got hot, the Hoyas’ pitching staff remained luke-warm at best. Freshman Patrick Salvitti picked up the win despite yielding six runs on six hits and five walks over 2 1/3 innings. Sophomores Paul Perillo (3 1/3 innings pitched, two errors, four hits, five strikeouts) and P.J. Martinez (3 innings pitched, one error, one hit) fared slightly better, combining for the last 6 1/3 innings, allowing only three more runs to cross the plate for UMES.

Georgetown (12-27, 1-11) returns to Big East competition this weekend as they travel to Philadelphia to take on the Villanova Wildcats (14-17, 12-8).