The Great Storm of ’03 may have turned the campus into a winter sports pavilion, but it also served as a reminder that spring has not yet arrived and that spring sports may have to wait. The men’s lacrosse team found itself in that situation on Saturday, as it prepared to take on the University of Maryland, No. 5 in the nation, in its first competition of the season. The team traveled to College Park, Md., to play on the Terrapins artificial turf facility. The nearly two feet of snow from the previous weekend’s snow, combined with the heavy rains of the past day had submerged the field and warped the artificial turf, causing it to rise in places and sink in others.

Both teams stood amid this sodden wasteland, anticipating the start of the game. While the sports administration had not intended to cancel the game, after a meeting of the coaches, both sides decided that postponement would be the wisest choice of action.

The teams have not met since the first round of the NCAA Tournament in 1997, when the Terrapins won a 14-10 decision.

The teams will face off again toward the end of the season, at an undetermined date in April. Now the Hoyas will start off their season on Saturday, March 1 at 5:00 p.m. against Penn State at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

In other bizarre, weather-affected news, the women’s lacrosse team will migrate north to play its season opener. Originally scheduled to take place on Kehoe Field at 5 p.m. today, the game moved to College Park, Md. and the Artificial Turf Facility at the University of Maryland at 11 a.m. The Hoyas, ranked fourth in the nation, will try to defeat the Hokies of Virginia Tech.

The baseball team’s game against St. Mary’s on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. will be moved to another, probably drier, day.