1. Construction of a student union building to be included as part of the Southwest Quadrangle Construction Project, either as an extension to a currently planned building or as a separate site to be located in the general vicinity of the Southwest Quad. Construction plans should be included in the Year 2000 Master Plan for the University, to be advanced by Georgetown’s Master Plan Core Team. Timeframe: design by March 2000, completion by September 2002.

Status. There are currently no plans for a student union building in the Master Plan or the Southwest Quadrangle Construction Project.

2000 Recommendation. Short-Term.

Begin fundraising efforts to cover the cost for the renovations of New South Dining Hall, so that funding will be in place when the space becomes available. Timeframe: Immediately. Long-term. Add the Construction of a Student Union to the Master Plan. Build a Student Union. Timeframe: Immediately. Construct 3 additional levels on top of the proposed Bookstore renovations in the Leavey Center for student offices, meeting rooms, and recreational areas.

This would be the most economically feasible way to have a true student union on campus. Some other ideas in Leavey include housing Campus Ministry, and the Volunteer and Public Service Center, to make it the true center of student activity on campus. These departments could each have their own floor in the new building, with the existing space being transformed completely to recreational student space. Timeframe: Plans made by Spring 2002.

Dedicate the Jesuit Residences for student space.

In the past, student groups were located in the Healy Building, the symbolic heart of Georgetown’s campus. When the Jesuit Residence is moved to the Southwest Quadrangle, that space can be partly dedicated to student space. For example, the current Jesuit Dinning Hall can be converted into a Formal Lounge or student recreational space. Timeframe: Fall 2000.

2. Appointment of 2 undergraduate students by the Student Association to sit on the Main Campus Advisory Space Committee. Timeframe: June 1999. Status: Although Dean of Students has maintained that this was accomplished, the Student Association has appointed no students.

2000 Recommendation. Appointment of 2 undergraduate students by the Student Association to sit on the Main Campus Advisory Space Committee. Timeframe: Immediately.

3. Relocation of the Office of Student Programs and the Office of Performing Arts to the 5th Floor of the Leavey Center. Timeframe: September 1999. As was presented in last year’s Report, office space is disproportionately allocated to administrative offices compared to student groups. An effective way to maximize student office space is to relocate the administrative offices from the 3rd Floor to the 5th Floor of the Leavey Center. When the new Performing Arts Center is constructed at the current Ryan Building, the Office of Performing Arts can be moved there as well. Status: No efforts have been made in this regard.

2000 Recommendation. Relocation of the Office of Student Programs and the Office of Performing Arts to the 5th Floor of the Leavey Center. Timeframe: Immediately.

4. Additional interim space provisions for increased offices and lounges for student clubs and organizations. Timeframe: Additional annual space allocations to students negotiated between appropriate administrators and student leaders, and based on progress of the student union construction project. Currently, not all student groups that requested office space received an allocation. On the 4th Floor of the Leavey Center, SAC is only able to offer nine offices for approximately 200 student groups. Therefore, not all groups are allocated office space, and when they do receive an allocation, they must share it with 2-3 other organizations. In comparison, the Office of Student Programs on the 3rd Floor of the Leavey Center has five large offices used for each of five administrators, one completely empty office, one office that is shared by two student staffers, and one ad hoc office that is used by various groups. Status: No efforts have been made in this regard.

2000 Recommendation. Additional interim space provisions for increased offices and lounges for student clubs and organizations. Timeframe: Additional annual space allocations to students negotiated between appropriate administrators and student leaders, and based on progress of the student union construction project. Timeframe: Immediately.

5. Creation of on-line classroom requests for student groups in need of classroom space for meetings or events. Timeframe: September 1999. The Dean of Students reported that the Registrar is currently working to get on-line systems up and working, including an on-line classroom reservation program. When the new Director of Student Activities Facilities arrives on campus, we hope that he will take steps to implement online efficiency programs. These include putting lists of available space and space requests all online. Status: This idea has not yet come to fruition, but is being addressed.

2000 Recommendation. Creation of on-line classroom requests for student groups in need of classroom space for meetings or events. Timeframe: Immediately.

6. Dedication of the vacated New South Dining Hall to Performing Arts Practice and Performance Space, including performing arts student office space and reception lounge, and to the construction of a GUTV studio. Timeframe: necessary renovations and construction should be completed by September 2003. There have been assurances made from the University Architect that the vacated New South Dining Hall will be reserved for student space. Status: No definitive plans for space usage have been made, but we are encouraged by the efforts of the University Architect.

2000 Recommendation. Dedication of the vacated New South Dining Hall to Performing Arts Practice and Performance Space, including performing arts student office space and reception lounge, and to the construction of a GUTV studio. Timeframe: Spring 2002.

7. Preservation of the current design for the Southwest Quadrangle in dedicating the first floor to music and performing arts practice space, as well as large and small seminar and meeting rooms to be made available to students 24 hours a day. Timeframe: September 2002. Even with the dedication of the New South Dinning Hall to student space, there will still be student space needs in the new Southwest Quadrangle. There have been assurances made from the University Architect that this space will be dedicated to these uses. Status: No definitive plans for space usage have been made, but we are encouraged by the efforts of the University Architect.

2000 Recommendation. Preservation of the current design for the Southwest Quadrangle in dedicating the first floor music and performing arts practice space, as well as large and seminar and meetings rooms to be made available to students 24 hours a day. Timeframe: Spring 2002.

8. Distribution of Leavey Center office keys to every member of each club assigned to the various offices. Timeframe: September 1999. The number of permanent keys is still restricted, and temporary keys do not allow access 24-hours a day. Status: No efforts have been made in this regard to change the policy.

2000 Recommendation. Distribution of Leavey Center office keys to every member of each club assigned to the various offices. Timeframe: Immediately.

9. Dedication of the Village C Formal Lounge to a 24-hour recreation and game room. Timeframe: September 1999.

Currently, Village C Formal Lounge is heavily utilized by Performing Arts groups as practice space and also by other departments for various functions.

Status: No efforts have been made in this regard.

2000 Recommendation. Create 24-hour per day space, where all students can gather for recreation and to socialize.

10. Additional 2000 Space Recommendations

Replace partition that once divided the Village C Formal Lounge so that part of it can remain a meeting and practice space, and a new 24-hour student lounge can be created. Timeframe: Immediately. Convert Sellinger Lounge to a 24-hour student recreational space, complete with pool tables, arcade games, a projection-screen television, a performance stage, computer email terminals and a new decor. Timeframe: Immediately. When the Georgetown Men’s Basketball Team was in the National Invitational Tournament recently, nearly 400 students converged on Sellinger Lounge to watch the away game on two large projection-screen televisions. It was an amazing display of school unity and spirit, one that can be captured indefinitely by changing the space into a permanent student lounge. Create a permanent box office as part of the Information Desk in the front entrance of the Leavey Center, as part of the Bookstore renovation project. Timeframe: Immediately. Having a box office for Athletic, Performing Arts, and Programming events all in one central location would be efficient and encourage student attendance at campus events. This box office, located at the heart of student activity, will make it more convenient for students to know what events are going on and to gain access to them. Open-up Center Grille as student study space from 3 p.m. to 7 a.m., the hours in which it is not in operation. Timeframe: Immediately. Opening Center Grille for student study space is vital to the success of the new Sellinger Lounge project, because people who currently studying in Sellinger will need new accommodations. Transforming Sellinger Lounge in the near future will be seen as a major step towards improving student life. Timeframe: Immediately. Open Darnall Cafeteria for student recreational, practice, performing, and programming space on weeknights after 8 p.m. and on weekends from 3 p.m. Friday until 11 a.m. Monday. Timeframe: Immediately. With the exception of GAAP brunches and the annual Hawaiian Club Luau, this space is not used at nights or on weekends. This large space has great potential for various student uses.