1. Three-Year Student Funding Plan: $100,000 increase for the FY 2000, $200,000 increase in FY 2001, $200,000 increase in FY 2002 from Main Campus allocations with adjustments made for inflation. Timeframe: July 1999.

Status. The Dean of Students contributed $144,000 ($44,000 before our Report, $100,000 soon thereafter) to financially support student groups, the majority of which came from the unfilled Senior Associate Dean of Students/Director of Special Projects position. With an understanding of the University’s difficult financial position, we have revised the recommendation.

2000 Recommendation. Three-Year Student Funding Plan: $150,000 increase for FY 2001, $150,000 increase for FY 2002, $100,000 increase in FY 2003 from Main Campus allocations with adjustments made for inflation. Timeframe: July 2000.

2. Give alumni and other donors the option to designate Annual Fund Dollars directly to student organization budgets. Timeframe: September 1999.

Status. Students have been told that the Office of Alumni and University Relations, OAUR, was reluctant when asked by the Office of Student Affairs to increase the list of direct designations for fear of over-segmenting the market. Currently, the only way to donate to student groups is by checking the “Other” box and specifying a listing or by checking off the community service option. We continue to support the need to give our donors a clear option to help support student groups.

2000 Recommendation. Give alumni and other donors the option to designate Annual Fund Dollars directly to the budgets of student organizations. Establish a student endowment to ensure the future stability of student organizations. Timeframe: September 2000.

3. Seek active student involvement in fund raising. Timeframe: August 1999.

Status. Students have been involved in a limited capacity, mainly for entertainment purposes and not for student funding initiatives. We recommend that the University expand students’ involvement beyond entertainment to actively participating in the fundraising process.

2000 Recommendation. Involve the students in all levels of the fundraising process – planning, participation and allocation of contributions to the University. Timeframe: August 2000.

4. Include several student representatives on the Board of Regents subcommittee for Student Life. Timeframe: August 1999.

Status. There has been discussion about placing a student on the Board, but there has been no action taken. We continue to support the need to have a student on the Board of Regents Student Life subcommittee.

2000 Recommendation. Appoint two student representatives to the Board of Regents. These Student Representatives should sit on the subcommittee for Student Life. Timeframe: August 2000.

5. Prioritize Student Programs. Timeframe: Immediately.

Status. The efforts the University has made to increase funding clearly indicates that students are a higher priority. This prioritization must continue, especially with concern for the three main areas of this report – funding, space and bureaucracy.

2000 Recommendation. Prioritize Student Programs and students. Timeframe: Immediately.